• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

exhaust failed mot

hey

sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but i am just looking to get advise on what to do.

i just had my mot done and it failed because the exhaust was to loud. i have a martelius and a hks intake installed on the car. someone on facebook has the same setup and his passed no problem. i dont have a stock exhaust to swap back and the insurance and mot ran out today. i should have done it before now but moving house soon and needed to get to work with it. sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but i am just looking to get advise on what to do thanks.

any advise would be great.

Unfortunately the MOT inspector can fail a car if he/she feels the car is excessively noisy or if it has insufficient silencing. I think the actual guidance on this matter is quite vague by what I could find. It depends on the actual inspector him/herself.

You could try somewhere else, however, they will see it's already failed on their system and could just fail it again. Some systems have a 'bung' that can be fitted to lower the decibels, maybe that maybe worth a look. Otherwise try swapping the backbox.

Sorry I can't be of much more help.

I'm lucky I have a 'friendly' MOT inspector however my car is perfectly legal and has a nice quiet system.

hey thanks for the reply.
i would assume that when it is getting its mot the engine will not run for that long for the engine to heat up to much? I read somewhere that the test should be done with the car idle is that correct?
the reason i ask is that when the car is first started it is loud even when idling and if i have a drive then stop and let it idle it is not as nearly as loud.

I wonder if i could tell him i am going to get a new one fitted and just bring the car back an hour or so with a warm engine without change it and see if i can get lucky.
he did not seem to care what i put on it as long as it was not as loud.

its a long shot but if its done when cold i might be able to chance my luck with it. i not going to have the car much longer with the work i am doing now i really need a 4x4 of some sort.

i will probably get another type r of some sort further down the line but i know that is i do i will not be adding anything else to it or keep the stock. i actually have the stock parts for everything else other than the exhaust.

Too far sorry mate
The engine has to be warm for the cat test (Co2 emmissions)
I think the tester is just being too strict but thats just my opinion
As im a VOSA NT & have been for 20 +years there is no desibel meter in any testing station
The Exhaust/Co2 emmissions law states that the exhaust system should have no leak of exhaust gasses and be securly supported
If the vehicle passes its emissions/cat test then the NT can only pass & advise the noise issue
Section 7.1 exhaust emissions
Reason for rejection
Section 4
The noise emmited is clearly louder than a standard system of simlar age etc
As i said above , think hes just being too strict

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree on the being to strict. the guy doing it seem to think that if i get pulled over for the noise he would get in trouble for passing the car with a loud exhaust.
i kinda get that but he wants it changed for a pass and he knows it will go straight back onto the car once it has passed the mot which will end the same result as if i never changed it at all. either way it wont say on the mot that the exhaust is loud.
could he get in trouble for the just letting it go and for me to get pulled over? the police would not know when i put it on the car so i could say i just got it added.
Everything else on the car is good even the co2 emissions the only thing that is wrong is purely the noise from the exhaust.
thank you for replying.

I would agree on the being to strict. the guy doing it seem to think that if i get pulled over for the noise he would get in trouble for passing the car with a loud exhaust.
i kinda get that but he wants it changed for a pass and he knows it will go straight back onto the car once it has passed the mot which will end the same result as if i never changed it at all. either way it wont say on the mot that the exhaust is loud.
could he get in trouble for the just letting it go and for me to get pulled over? the police would not know when i put it on the car so i could say i just got it added.
Everything else on the car is good even the co2 emissions the only thing that is wrong is purely the noise from the exhaust.
thank you for replying.

Can't see how they can get in trouble as who would know if you swapped it after the MOT? I get the same problem on my motorbike so I often ask if they've an issue up front. Some testers do and others just say bring it down. One even said they scared kids on a test ride after a service. Was a bit naughty going out with a full system on, no number plate and slicks though!

As above ^^^ it is up to the tester but i think hes being very very strict
As woody sugests ask in advance
Imo when i carry out an mot i couldnt care less if its loud/ noisy as long as its not blowing/leaking at the joints and the system is secure (as im sure it is)

Mayb he owns a vw and thinks were all typeR tossas lol

hey guys got the car into another garage and they are going to pass the car on Monday.

when i spoke to the first guy today he said he would not pass it with the current exhaust in case someone came in an caught doing it (whats is the actual chance of that happening?). which is also a different reason from what he said yesterday with me getting pulled over. i know he was doing his job, but after speaking to him a bit today he just comes across as to total ******. i think you could be right jizzy about owning a vw lol.

i had it in my head my insurance ran out yesterday as well and could only get the car back today after the insurance was up. Someone from my work said i that you could not insure a car with a failed mot. I thought my car was stuck with them until i got a new exhaust or get it moved by someone else or try the letting the engine heat up around the corner thing and hope the police wont drive past and spot i have no insurance. turns out i was still OK and got it moved to the new garage.

i am overly cautious when it come to the car because its like loosing a limb when i don't have it.

it was a long working week this week and i think if i had not been so tired yesterday i would have thought it all through a bit better. away bed just now to try catch back up.

i will be doing what woody80 said and ask them up front if it will be a problem.

thanks again for the help.:D

You can insure a car with no tax and insurance. But you'll only be covered driving to and from the test centre until it's passed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It expired on Friday the day I got it done it went in on Monday to another garage and they passed it without any problems.

Back