• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Exhaust help :(

Hello I have a standard exhaust and want to have a decat straight through. Now on eBay there is a mani and decat for £200 and a cobra cat back for £300. Can only afford one each month. I though if I go decat first I can save the cat from being damaged as doing cat back first might make it run rich and destroy the cat.

BUT I've looked on forums and people are saying a light comes on when you decat it and the engine will run lean. This is bad. My glanza ran lean and blew up. So don't want the same to happen.
And people are saying you need a remap. Would I be ok doing decat one month then next month decat.

Please help. Basically I want a straigh throught but will only spend £300 a month tops. Thanks.

Just buy the parts as time allows and then have them fitted together.

Lack of O2 sensors will cause the dash to light up when decated but bypass sensors are available.

Running a catback on oem mani/cat is ok. Running a decat will be bad and WILL need a remap.

I read somewhere tdi north dyno a decat without remap and made less power than with a cat.

Better off buying everything first then fit and remap together, best gains and more worthwhile down the line.

So would a cat back system affect the performance in a bad way as all I want it for is noise. The mani and cat for performance. Would it run fine and not lean on a cat back.

Not sure if serious with the questions you have asked. If you have had performance cars before surely you will know the answer?

Go for a cat back system first and retain your OEM manifold and cat, that will give you the sportier tone which you are after and you will not need to fork out for a remap, you can also add an induction kit at this stage too.

If you then decide you want to change your manifold for a race header deleting the cat then you would need a remap, depending on what sort of power output you want (because remaps can be expensive in their own right) get all the parts that you want first e.g. exhaust manifold, intake manifold, throttle body etc and get them all installed and mapped in one go with K100/K-Pro.

Not only cheaper in the long run but will notice so much more difference getting everything done in one visit, just make sure you go to a reputable tuner like TDI North, TDI South or Eurospec.

Back