• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Exhaust manifold advice

I'm thinking about going for the k tuned race manifold as I have the K tuned 3" straight through oval exhaust system but also looking at the buddy club manifold and the tegiwa manifold so any advice on these if anybody has either of them or have any top tips would be nice but my main question is if I put the manifold on would I need to put my kpro in and get it remapped as I want to wait to get the other bits. This is hypothetical at the moment as I might be able to get everything together but if I can't then is it okay to just put the manifold in without a map and would I get any gains? On tegiwa website they state that you would gain 7-10 bhp with direct bolt on with standard ecu??????????

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

As per the other 100 threads floating round at the moment you won't gain anything without a remap except a broken engine.

I thought this was the case after reading various threads but then going on tegiwa site and reading that it does improve was confusing lol

Is there any data supporting this? The Internet can be a funny place with lots of regurgitated information. Anyone got any wideband graphs before and after manifold install?

Anyone of those headers you mentioned will do the job, but if you're chasing every last drop of power then consider something like an ASP, Hytech, SSR header. Originate from the States and they do custom made to your engine specs, don't expect to get much change from £1200 though.

The buddyclub will net about 3-5bhp more than something like a DC sports header, but costs twice as much.
Tegiwa is a copy of the Toda header, considered the best for bolt ons by many.
K-tuned I don't know, don't seem to be many people using them, so if you want to be different and a guinea pig, I'd say go for that :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I may have just got a manifold second hand what's the tdi north manifolds like?

Yeah that's what I was just looking at on the website just messaged them to ask

They used to sell their own design of race header, made by XO Power Tuning IIRC and rebranded as theirs.

Yeah loxy just got an email back from them saying it was a long time ago. I'm getting one on Friday in good condition would you say it's worth £150

Have you got any pictures mate?

Seems kinda odd to me that they would sell their own manifold design, then recommend others like the Toda, Japspeed etc.
Would be interesting to find out why they stopped, unless you know Loxy? Was it like a profit margin thing, or just a case of loads of other headers out there for reasonable cost didn't warrant the time to manufacture anymore?

It could be worth a punt at £150, but for an extra £50-£70 you could get a brand new Japspeed which has proven gains and will make 240bhp. I'd do a bit more digging if its performance you're after.

Spoken to tdi they did a job lot back in 2008 sold well but for what was coming out in the market I don't think it made much sense for them to carry it on

Is there any data supporting this? The Internet can be a funny place with lots of regurgitated information. Anyone got any wideband graphs before and after manifold install?

Yep. I've got a graph from when my car was first mapped a few years back.
d773fcaa6b9732ad02ed073bdde92a70.jpg

Not the greatest picture, but this shows PRC inlet (typo on the sheet) with piper manifold and decat section and piper cat back. At the bottom there's the yellow line. This is the fuel mixture reading. Dotted being pre map and solid after. In vtec it hit around 14:1, just on the richer side but it's not ideal (14.7:1 being stoichiometric efficiency).
Long term it may cause some issues. But I've never seen or heard of a K20 engine fail due to detonation ect. Speaking to Paul at TDI years ago he mentioned that with just a decat manifold you can get away without mapping although you won't be gaining much. Adding the inlet manifold makes it far worse. Either way it's not recommended. But short term you'll be fine. 20k miles running without a map you'll probably get some issues.

I'm going to put the manifold on this Thursday and get a map from k manager for the time being try g to organise to go up to tdi in January to get lots done

Good info Lewis, it's a shame you had so many parts fitted at the same time. Not for you, obviously. :)

Back