• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Exhaust too loud!!!

At a recent MOT for my '04 EP3, I was told there was corrosion to the existing standard exhaust. So I thought what an excellent excuse to buy a aftermarket system...
I went for a Skunk2 backbox with a 2.5" unsilenced b-pipe that someone was selling on eBay.

Unfortunately (while sounding amazing) my car is now deafening, and embarrassing to drive through my tiny village!!

I'm on budget, so I now have 2 options:

1) Replace the backbox with another OEM one (are the OEM copies on eBay any good?)
2) Buy a bung for the back-box. This would have to be left in permanently, which I heard can be bad for the engine.

Any help would be gratefully received!!

Last edited by a moderator:
But wouldn't another aftermarket be just as loud?
On Youtube it seems impossible to tell how loud they are until you see them in person.

Skunk2, dependant on which diameter version it is, is one of the louder exhausts to be honest.

Not all aftermarket systems are stupidly loud, I'm sure other ep3 owners here can suggest a quieter system.

get one with a silenced b-pipe.
i have a cobra unsilenced b-pipe with oval backbox and its loud!!
but after warmed up its not too bad poodling around and at 70 on the motorway its bearable,
i had a spoon n1 replica system on my last one with silenced b-pipe and it was louder!!

so avoid the spoon replicas, there quite cheap but loud!

I've got a bung for mine for long drives or early morning cold-starts. It does eat exhaust gaskets, though I can't imagine it doing the engine any harm during normal driving.

Cheapest way for you would be either a bung or a silenced b-pipe.

I used to run a Spoon back box mated to an ABP unsilenced B pipe. That was about as subtle as a breezeblock in the face. :lol:

Just a quick update...
I bought a Cobra bung off eBay (£25), and the difference is huge!!
The drone has completely gone now, but all the best parts of the sound are still there.
The only negative so far is the fact it does look a bit weird, but I think this is a fair trade for getting the volume where I want it.

Back