• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fabby's CTR grey 2005

Haha quality. The type R loves all the abuse you can throw at it, all it asks is good fuel, good oil (regularly) and good maintenance. Do that and it'll love you forever :)

Great looking EP3, the interior looks like it just came out of the factory, getting the timing chain done definitely wont do it any harm.

Hi Petra,

Nice car. I was just about to say, I hope you are not in the Surrey/Hants area as including mine, I have seen 3 other cosmic EP3's about but it now looks like you are the 4th :)

If you do have any problems with your car, Tom at TGM is superb and will look after you.

Probably see you around.

Hi Linus27, thanks I have spoken to TGM and they will do te job when the warranty is approved.
I am mostly in Hampshire, Aldershot so proberly see you around :)

Hi Linus27, thanks I have spoken to TGM and they will do te job when the warranty is approved.
I am mostly in Hampshire, Aldershot so proberly see you around :)

Excellent, I am in Camberley so yes will see you about no doubt :)

Went today to TGM and had the mechanic look at it. He said that the timing chain is good and doesnt need replacing. However after scanning the car several times, its clear that cylinder number 3 is missfiring once in a while.Every couple of hundreds of rotations it missfires once. every 4-5 seconds it gives missfire code. Tried a different injector, spark plug, coil pack,checked for air leaks and checked compression on all cylinders(healthy results) but still get a missfire. He came to the conclusion that it could be the valve clearences or a different ecu required. Apparently if a coil pack fails it can mess up the ecu when it logs the error.
Tommorow morning the car is getting the valve clearences done by him.
If the problem is not cured then I will contact the warranty to claim and buy a new unit.
The ecu will need coding to the car so if anyone can provide some phone numbers or details would be nice.
Thanks

Went today to TGM and had the mechanic look at it. He said that the timing chain is good and doesnt need replacing. However after scanning the car several times, its clear that cylinder number 3 is missfiring once in a while.Every couple of hundreds of rotations it missfires once. every 4-5 seconds it gives missfire code. Tried a different injector, spark plug, coil pack,checked for air leaks and checked compression on all cylinders(healthy results) but still get a missfire. He came to the conclusion that it could be the valve clearences or a different ecu required. Apparently if a coil pack fails it can mess up the ecu when it logs the error.
Tommorow morning the car is getting the valve clearences done by him.
If the problem is not cured then I will contact the warranty to claim and buy a new unit.
The ecu will need coding to the car so if anyone can provide some phone numbers or details would be nice.
Thanks
Hope you get it sorted out. any honda dealer will recode the ecu for £50.

Rule 1
Mechanical spot on before modding :p

I hear ya, but getting shot of old beaten parts for nice shiny new ones is perfect time to up-rate at same time imo
Now using hind sight on my car there's plenty of things I'd do differently :)

To be honest I don't want to make my car go faster, just want it to drive in tip top condition.serviced and maintained :D

Had a better look at the engine last night with Tom, and after checking the compression again, its clearly that there is a drop in compression in cylinder 3 compared to 1,2 and 4. Will be contacting the warranty today and if they agree with the claim, I will get the cylinder head refurbished and I will also replace the timing chain and tensioner. If the warranty company is messing around then I will take the car back to the dealer and get them to fix it.
The maximum warranty claim is £750 and most likely the job will cost more.
At least we know that the ecu is fine..
If anyone knows where I can get some cheaper oem parts please let me know.
I will need new studs, head gasket and what ever else I might need..
Bad luck..
:(

Left the car with Tom on Monday. Should be ready sometime next week.Lets hope the Warranty will cover most of the costs.
Should I replace the water pump too? Anything else that needs doing while the head is off?

Evening,
Strangely I've not read about water pumps failing on a ep3, but if it's in bits, why not 1 less worry

:)

Hey Petra, I was watching them take the engine out of your car yesterday and working on the block. My car was there having new discs and pads fitted.

Back