• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Facelift vs Prefacelift

Yeah but its a slow colour :lol:
If you think about it, black has to be a slightly faster colour, as the black paint work in the engine bay will absorb the heat reducing heat soak. Silver or cosmic will just reflect the heat back into the engine bay.

The appliance of science. :lol:

Another bump of great proportions - but at least I'm searching before creating :D:p

On a serious tip, Nick great comparison post mate - thank you very much for that.

I'm running a Premier (thus facelift) and am eager to get a specific lip that was only produced for the pre-face. Is anyone able to clear up exactly how much of the front end I will need to effect the conversion?

I simply require the bumper (I think) to run the lip I'm interested in - but in trying to fit it, will I be required to change the headlights? Or anything else? I will likely have a facelift Mugen Grille (which I have seen fitted on a pre-face bumper) - So I'm sort of working on the idea or hoping that all I will need to do, to get the desired front end will be to: Adapt a Mugen Facelift Grille to fit a pre-face bumper, which is already able to accomodate the Lip I'm after.

Will this be enough? Is there anything else I need to consider?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I have been searching (as the post in this dated thread suggests) and will continue to do so - but if anyone can help with the clarification, it'd be greatly appreciated - the 'Thanks' button beckons too :p

TIA,

TR

Last edited by a moderator:
i believe that both pre-facelift and facelift ep3 bumpers are the same in every way apart from the grill and splitter on the bottom of them.

i believe that both pre-facelift and facelift ep3 bumpers are the same in every way apart from the grill and splitter on the bottom of them.

No mate, thanks for replying but the pre-face is different to the facelift. The preface has sort of like a 'half an opening' beneath the number plate. The preface splitter is sort of like the other half of that opening.

Like this:

DSC01410.jpg

Wheras the facelift doesn't have that opening in the bumper, and the opening in the lip is differently shaped - see:

08032008317.jpg

No mate, thanks for replying but the pre-face is different to the facelift. The preface has sort of like a 'half an opening' beneath the number plate. The preface splitter is sort of like the other half of that opening.

He means they're the same fitment.

Just read how someone retro-fitted Facelift headlights onto a pre-facelift EP3.

Hopefully it should just be a case of getting a prefacelift bumper. Would be keen to find out if the fixing points etc. are the same.

Still anything definitive would be helpful.

The fixing points are the same, you will just need both upper and lower bumpers (although only the upper in your case as you want the mugen lip) and the grille and badge.

The fixing points are the same, you will just need both upper and lower bumpers (although only the upper in your case as you want the mugen lip) and the grille and badge.

Thanks Nick. :cool: would I need to change the headlights/headlight covers (Or are they the same basic shape, for fitting purposes)? I'm just wary of possible gaps/misalignment occuring if it's not possible to run the facelift lights/facelift light covers with the preface bumper. Is this an issue?

BTW, It's the Airwalker Lip - hopefully :D

AIRW-011.jpg

The headlights are the same shape but you might need different support bars for the headlights. Best thing to do is to check out the parts/part numbers needed for both front ends.

Here is the Facelift/Premier parts page: http://japancars.ru/cat/honda/index.php?hmodtyp=8585,8586

And the Preface: http://japancars.ru/cat/honda/index.php?hmodtyp=8282,8283

Nice lip, not seen that before :)

Thanks for your help dude - I kept coming back in here waiting for/hoping really :)p) that'd you'd reply :cool:

I really want that Air Walker Lip - I need it in my life, but I think I'm verging on doing maniacal things for the sake of that Lip; like a whole friend end conversion :rolleyes:.

Edit: Despite the helpful advice/links, I'm very, very relcutantly thinking against going for that lip - as much as I'm desperate for it. Because a £500 lip is very quickly looking at becoming a £1,000+ job, when painting & pre-face parts are taken into account :(

That said it's a little price to pay for being the only one possibly running this lip in the UK.. Damn Facelifts, or Airwalker for not making a face-lift variant. :evil:

Well you have the better headlights, so why not surround them with the best front end? I've always preferred the preface front.

But yeah for £1000 is it worth it. Wait until you hit a deer or something :) (I have visions of you bombing it down country roads in the middle of night)

Well you have the better headlights, so why not surround them with the best front end? I've always preferred the preface front.

The deterring point was made in your post re: The possible need for different support bars for the lights - it all sounds messy & expensive.

I need that Lip though.

Edit: Yeah, if not a deer I'll probably lose it on something more inocuous like pulling off from my drive way -

- Finding parking outside your house in London - FTL
- Having a Drive-way FTW
- Sloped drives - FTL.

Go Figure :p

You'd get a few qiud back from selling your current front end, i've seen them fetch a good price on ebay, maybe £200 for both parts. Support bars would be cheap too (if needed). Bumpers come painted from Honda too so only the lip would need painting.

You'd get a few qiud back from selling your current front end, i've seen them fetch a good price on ebay, maybe £200 for both parts. Support bars would be cheap too (if needed). Bumpers come painted from Honda too so only the lip would need painting.

I'm on the iPhone so forgive the short replies: Did I mention that I have a genuine Mugen Facelift Grille, that will need fitting - so throw that into the mix/mess too. I'm going to have to think about this properly. :(

Done this conversion over the last couple of days: Easy but not cheap - as I did it with new parts from Honda.

To Convert between the two You'll need the following Face-specific parts (prices to th nearest £ given for ease of reference):

- Bumper - £260

- Lip - £322 (Unless you're running an aftermarket lip, for that respective face)

- Inner Wheel Arch Trim x 2 (L & R) £48 each = £96.00

- Grille w/ requisite badges. (Facelift More expensive IIRC than Pre-Face) I needed pre-facelift so that's: £77 + circa £55 = £112

- Depending on conversion a Cooling Plate/Slam Panel (Facelift only) will be required as the Pre-face's is integrated into the top of the bumper. Not sure on price as I didn't require this.

A note on the Inner Arch Trim - you could probably get away with using Pre-Face Trim on a Facelift Coversion - as it'll tuck in, inside the arch - not snugly though. You cannot use Facelift trim on a Pre-face conversion - without modding the trim; it does not look like the easiest of mods either, as the trim joins the splash guard to form sort of an undertray. I would not mod it - it is lower, and a different shape. The right, face-specific trims, fit a treat, and perfectly as you'd expect. Do not underestimate the importance of these parts, without them, I don't think a perfect/flush conversion is possible - whichever way you're going.

Like the Inner Arch Wheel Trim; the Grille on the Facelift can be modded to fit a Prefacelift; but I wouldn't bother with it, unless one were particularly competent w/ tools to suit - as it is bigger than the Pre-face so does not fit flush from all corners.

For a Facelift to Pre-Facelfit conversion; You will also find, as I did, that you will be left with spare plastic clips/pop rivets - as the Facelift uses more than the Pre-facelift (behind the grille and underneath the car)

Everything does go on snugly though; there is no doubt that this can be done

- The horns do not require re-locating

- The Bumper bar/reinforcement bar does not need relocating either.

- It's been documented before that the headlights can also be changed to suit; the Facelift projectors are better though IMO, and look it too; cosmetically - so I didn't convert this aspect of my car.

If anyone is as crazy as I am to consider doing this - to accomodate a Lip in my case LOL; do not hesitate to drop us a PM, it is an easy conversion with the right parts. The chassis is exaclty the same, with the fixing points also being in the same places. Generally Facelift FTW IMO, but Airwalker FTMFW - hence the conversion.

Back