• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Faint squeaking noise from gearbox

I have a faint squeaking noise coming from the gearbox. It goes away when the clutch is pressed.

I only noticed it yesterday.

It doesn't make the noise while driving only when idling. It's intermittent. I arrived at work today at the noise wasn't there.

The clutch has been changed at TGM in 2014/2015. It was a full clutch kit i.e pressure plate, release bearing and clutch

I have searched google and typical response is "it's the release bearing"

Can the release bearing be faulty after 2 years? or is it a more serious issue?

It does sound like the release bearing based on what you've said. How many miles since the clutch change and was it all Honda OEM parts that went in? Cheap Exedy clutches are known to fail prematurely, especially the release bearing.

It was a OEM clutch kit from COX. I don't use cheap parts :)

I've done about 4000 - 5000 miles since it was changed.

I'd say it's highly unlikely to be the release bearing with such little mileage.

Without hearing it I'm not sure. I'd maybe start with a gearbox oil change as it's quite cheap to do and see how it is.

Input shaft bearings on the way out perhaps? My '52 used to make a noise you could only hear when in neutral and the clutch pedal untouched and only when it was in the garage (quiet surrounds).

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will get the car booked in at my local for a gearbox oil change and see how it goes.

Should it be the input shaft bearing I will probably put a LSD in while the box is out.

I will keep this thread updated.

Thanks again

***Update***

So I've had the gearbox oil changed. The noise went for a few days but came back.

I was speaking with my local garage to get more info. He suggested a few things......

1. The clutch release bearing has gone "dry" i.e the grease in the bearing has gone.

Could the above actually happen?

Also I have noticed when I'm doing "clutch control" whilst parking there is a juddering and a strange noise. It sounds like a wookie.

Regarding the noise and juddering my local garage suggested that the clutch plate could be contaminated.

He said that if this is the case the crank case seal could be leaking.

How could I find out if the crank case seal is leaking without taking the gearbox off?

How could I find out if the crank case seal is leaking without taking the gearbox off?

If it was anything more than an absolutely tiny leak then it'd be visible on the seam between block and clutch/gearbox housing, right at the bottom of the bell housing.

Back