• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

fallenkshatriya's wee beastie...

Hello gents and gentle ladies...I've been a member on CTRO and Civinfo and only recently put up my FN2 build thread on Civinfo. I'm going to try and copy my thread on Civinfo to TRO, and hopefully not annoy too many people with broken links.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling and let you read on.

I come from a family of Honda lovers. My late old man drove Honda's for a long, long time...his first Honda was a second-hand, 2nd generation Accord which he owned for 5 years. He swapped that for the 3rd Generation, then the 4th and followed by the 5th Gen Accord and yep, you guessed it, the 6th Gen.

When I moved to Glasgow from Malaysia, my first car was a burgundy 2.0l L-reg Accord with the most awe-inspiring velour interior. It wallowed around corners, but Lord, what a capacious, comfortable motorway cruiser...you could pack a family and the kitchen sink in it with absolutely no problems! And a totally bullet-proof engine.
icon_cool.gif

accord ls.jpg

Not my old Accord, but the exact shade it was...

My first CTR was an 04 plate, Cosmic Grey EP3, which I bought in 2008. It was my first "performance" car and I loved it...The location of the gearstick, the seats and that VTEC note…it was plenty addictive. I was also secretly proud of how practical a car it was...

Moving house? No problemo.

Massive amounts of shopping? N***a puh-leeez. ;)

Although I was nervous as heck about modding it, countless hours spent on CTRO and Type-R Scotland encouraged the growth of a pair, and i sourced a 2nd-hand Gruppe M, followed by Ferodo DS2500 pads, uprated fluid and braided brake lines from Goodridge.
Just as I was getting settled into EP3 ownership and saving up for more mods, Hyndland Honda offered me a deal on a 08-plate, totally standard FN2. Although I wasn't interested initially, a drive out in it and the financial side of the deal meant I was soon signing on the dotted line. Being the poser I am, I asked for and had included in the deal a brand new set of Rages, mats and the grill badge.

For a good while after that, the car remained standard....I had moved up to Aberdeen at this point, and once the winter ice had a thawed a little bit, I was out there, on the A and B-roads, just...driving it.

Attachments

• IMG00005-20100320-1402.jpg
    IMG00005-20100320-1402.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG00006-20100320-1403.jpg
    IMG00006-20100320-1403.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG00009-20100711-1314.jpg
    IMG00009-20100711-1314.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG00010-20100711-1315.jpg
    IMG00010-20100711-1315.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 13
Sometime during my sojourn in the frigid North, my urge to mod could no longer be denied...But being the tight-fisted Scot-by-association I am, I had to do it in a financially viable a.k.a glacially slow way....A member on Civinfo had bought a brand new Gruppe M and had not installed it due to problems with his insurance. I snapped his hand off for it and it spent 16 months in my box room while i accumulated parts.

This was followed by a mint, 2nd hand HKS Legamax catback with the laser-cut exhaust surrounds. Again, this spent ages, boxed up in my living room. I walked past it every day for 6 months and lovingly stroked the box. Emm…right. I soon had gathered together Ferodo DS2500 pads (yes, again), Goodridge braided lines, and a Skunk2 gear knob.

I packed everything up in the car together and drove down to Glasgow and all of these were installed by Gerry of PerformanceTek. To this day, I still love the VTEC induction roar in the cabin with the Gruppe M. And I still start the car in the morning with windows down for the HKS….a purposeful rumble at idle and a deep-chest roar at full chat…nom nom nom.
gruppe m.jpggruppe m 2.jpggruppe m 3.jpg

A set of Eibach camber bolts and a front FRS at ProGrip was carried out (***insert compulsory comment re: transformed handling, turn like- on-rails comment here***) and I was soon set for my first Tour D’Ecosse with Type-R Scotland. What a brilliant run up Durness that weekend was…brilliant roads with some really nice cars and more importantly, some awesome folk.
TDE 2010.jpg

While I knew it wasn’t too shy in terms of power, I was surprised by how much I wanted to sort the suspension and handling after that drive. The Rage alloys, although be-yooo-ti-ful in the extreme, contributed to a crashy, unpredictable ride. When the car bumped up, you really had no inkling on the direction the wheels would point when it came back down! This contributed to one or two squeaky-bum moments, let me tell you. The Rages had to go, followed by a change of suspension…A seed had been planted.

Seen the thread over on Civinfo. 'Tis a wee beastie indeed! :smt023

I then managed to pick up a Mugen TB and a RRC manifold from members on Civinfo and CTRO, and had these fitted by a friend at Honda. Civik, take a bow, buddy! Using driving to a conference as an excuse, I made an appointment with Messrs. West and Co. for a FlashPro map. On TDI-North’s rollers, the car made 224bhp and a 153lb/ft. I was quite happy with this…True, not quite headline grabbing numbers for peak bhp, but I tended to spend a lot more time in the mid-range

mugentb.jpg

Soon after this, a member on TRS put up his set of gunmetal Mugen GPs for sale. I ummm-ed and aaah-ed…and finally committed to buying them from him. Here’s a pic of them taken by Paul J. Smith, our resident photo artiste…So, the Rages had a replacement!

mugenGP.jpg

Attachments

• mugen tb.jpg
    mugen tb.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 7
And as winter 2010 came on, TDI South offered me a flexible payment plan for a Mugen Sports Suspension kit. I’d always liked the fact that it had been designed on UK roads. (Nowhere else will you find such a collection of potholes and unfinished repairs!) Yes, it would’ve been nice if the Mugen kit had some adjustability, but knowing me, it would end up staying on one setting for 99.9% of the time, i.e. I wouldn’t get the most out of an adjustable setup…suspension now sorted!

SDC11576.jpg

SDC11577.jpg

SDC11578.jpg

As 2011 wore on, I managed to grab a Toda manifold and a set of Spoon calipers , both BNIB, from fellow Civinfo member…yes, I have a thing for brand names, so sue me. ;)
My savings account was well and truly emasculated at this point, so I spent a lot of my weekends staying indoors, admiring my collection of unfitted mods!

SDC11587.jpg

todamanifold.jpg

SDC11583.jpg

spooncalipers.jpg

SDC11585.jpg

It was around this time that I had my first modding hiccup…I started to get a strange kangaroo hop everytime I opened up the throttle. Thinking it was perhaps the K&N filter in the GM that needed cleaning, I opened up the bonnet, swore, cut my hands, cleaned the damn filter and reoiled it…only to notice the giant split in my OEM intake pipe that had been stretched to fit over my Mugen TB. Off it went to Honda for couple of days for a new intake pipe…which had to come all the way from Belgium!

By the June of 2012, I had also bought a Wavetrac LSD, a set of 25mm H&R hubcentric spacers, a Polybush kit, a Spoon Rigid Collar set, a Toda Balancer Shaft Delete Kit and most importantly, a red R battery tie. Now, I just needed to find some one and some monies to get all of this fitted.

SDC11579.jpg

SDC11580.jpg

SDC11582.jpg

SDC11581.jpg

SDC11588.jpg

Dave (DPG87) from Civinfo and Simon (simon82) from Type-R Scotland both recommended a certain Andrew Baird of AutoMek in East Kilbride. Having met the man a couple of times and having chats about my and other cars, I was reassured that this was a genuine lover of cars. I dropped my wee beastie off with him a rainy day in July…and was happy to receive a text and series of photos everyday. He took as much care with my car as he would with his own. I would not hesitate to recommend his work to anyone.

I picked it up 3 days later….and boy oh boy, the 18 month wait to fit all of my kit was well worth it! While it was with Andrew, the flywheel was swapped out for a lighter ACT flywheel, mated to my OEM clutch. The RRC manifold was also bored out to 72mm in preparation for my Skunk2 DBW TB. The car was mapped the next day at TDI-North…and it drives awesome! The midrange is meatier and the noise from the Toda-HKS combination means I drive often with the windows down. ;) The only downside? My worn brakes have been shown up…

Thank you! So, what are you getting done at Gerry's?
He's checking it over since i had a dodgey map on the kpro so hopfully no damage and all going well he's fitting timing chain and tensioner and rbc inlet manifold and dc5 cams. then am heading to tdi-north on the 4th of jan so hopfully all goes well.

Some great pictures there and some really good stuff the car must be some machine lol.

Back