• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fast Road Set up.....how much tyre wear????

Ok, the car is booked in at TGM for friday and I'm getting some camber adjusters fitted and the camber set up correctly.

I have a few questions regarding the fast road set up I've heard so much about.

1 - Will this cause excessive tyre wear, compared to normal stock settings? I do quite a lot of motorway driving, so will this count against me?

2 - How will this affect the straight line handling performace? (see motorway driving above)

I'm sure Tom will be able to get me the right set up, but I don't want to go in there and suggest something that is not suitable :?

It depends on how you have the car set up mate - and Tom will advise you on the pros and cons of different settings based on what you use the car for most. 8)

The more aggressively you have the camber etc set the more you're likely to wear you tyres unevenly, so you could go somewhere in the middle and see how it handles compared to stock.

I followed Tom's suggestions, and set the car up so that it was still just within Honda's tolerances, but slightly more aggressive than standard. It works a treat imo. 8)

The advantage of the adjustable arms etc is that you can have the set up changed easily at a later date if you don't like it, or the tyres only last about 10 miles! 8) :lol:

I had TDi Norths Fast road setup for about 12k, my back tyres are in excellent condition. So when I had my coilovers fitted I told Mark to add more camber and make it more agressive. The difference between that and adding coilovers is huge. There is no dead spot in the steering now, it just turns.

Understeer is something I'm no longer familiar with, and thanks to the coilovers the car tells me when it's about to let go. The feedback is very good indeed. 8)

Cheers guys.....guessing that with the motorway miles I do it might not be too suitable :(

Guess I'll have a chat with Tom and see what he thinks.

Don't want to sacrifice too much handling on the twisties, but want to keep the tyres fairly decent for motorway trips :roll:

Dont be daft if you have it set to the 'fast road' set up its still within Hondas tolerances. You wont wear your tyres out on the motorways or on the twisties. Your car will still have a tendancy to understeer and wear the front outer edges. :wink:

ABP and TDi setup (assuming its the one I know of) is at most -1.5deg camber...... :roll:

If however you want a 'proper track' set up then Tom is the only chap to talk to :twisted: :twisted:

I thought that the fast road setup was only beneficial to the EP3? Since you have a DC5 mate I would stick with the OEM settings. Unless the car get's snappy like the EP3 does.

I do hope TDi and ABP arent being compared together. :roll: :lol:
And I do hope that people arent running race setups on the road or they are asking for trouble. :twisted: :lol:

I know for a fact that TDi (As well as Abbey) will set a car up to whatever the owner wants as they have recently done for a couple of customers that wanted a little more "aggressive" feel. :twisted:

If you have the proper gear a car can be setup to whatever the user wants. As far as I know TDi North and South, TGM and Abbey have this equipment. If you want to go overboard Abbey also have cornerweighting gear but its all a bit OTT for a roadgoing Civic but ideal if your really serious.

BTW I have been getting 18-20K out of a set of tyres with the TDi setup, mostly motorway driving but also using them for some 1/4 mile days. Tyre wear is very even and I have rotated front to back once. :wink:

Sara said:
Dont be daft if you have it set to the 'fast road' set up its still within Hondas tolerances. You wont wear your tyres out on the motorways or on the twisties. Your car will still have a tendancy to understeer and wear the front outer edges. :wink:

ABP and TDi setup (assuming its the one I know of) is at most -1.5deg camber...... :roll:

If however you want a 'proper track' set up then Tom is the only chap to talk to :twisted: :twisted:

Mine is set up to abp's fast road spec, yet does wear the inside of the front, though it is not excessive. It is noticable. and only around 1.5 inches in from the shoulder. And well you kknow how I drive :oops: I do not think I have driven mt CTR fast enough to experience this 'understeer' of which you speak.

I do however not notice any diference in stability at straight line speed (even at 151mph :)) as has been said. As the amount of camber is just too small.

I let Tom suggest what is best and got it set up within the normal expected guidlines, not far off the 'fast road' set ups that have been posted up

It rides so much smoother and handles so much better, however it will better still once I change the rear tyres.......they are very badly out of shape :shock: :shock: :?

Back