• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fast road set up

Has any body noticed any difference in tyre wear before and after having a fast road set up carried out?
I shall be having this done by ABP at the end of this month but as 90% of my driving is done at 30mph or less not sure if it will benefit me if it wears the tyres out faster.

You will notice a massive difference, tyres will be fine but depends on how aggressive the set up is.

If you're doing slower driving then you wont notice much difference but there are roundabouts to consider :lol:

You will notice a massive difference, tyres will be fine but depends on how aggressive the set up is.

If you're doing slower driving then you wont notice much difference but there are roundabouts to consider :lol:

^^this

Mine did suffer from a bit of under steer prior to FRSU but roundabouts are a pleasure now

Thanks for the replies i am only really having it done as my rear tyres are wearing uneven on the inner edges, unless the fronts have been swapped with the rear (i've only had it 1 month). It can only be of benefit though!

I'm guessing the car has been lowered? the rears will wear on the insides and if you have a frsu done then they will def wear on the inside, if your just wanting to make your tyres wear even then have a 4 wheel alignment set done and have it adjusted to a factory set.
when you lower a car it naturally adds negative camber, when having a frsu done it's common practice to add negative camber which is what will cause your tyres to wear on the inside, sadly you cant have a frsu and have your tyres wear even, just need to work out what you want from your car

I'm guessing the car has been lowered? the rears will wear on the insides and if you have a frsu done then they will def wear on the inside, if your just wanting to make your tyres wear even then have a 4 wheel alignment set done and have it adjusted to a factory set.
when you lower a car it naturally adds negative camber, when having a frsu done it's common practice to add negative camber which is what will cause your tyres to wear on the inside, sadly you cant have a frsu and have your tyres wear even, just need to work out what you want from your car
I've had mine lowered and fingers crossed no uneven tyre wear. Done about 8 k with the set up so far. :)

No it has not been lowered its just standard. I was thinking of just taking it to have the alignment checked and see how far out it is. Maybe have it set somewhere between factory settings and a frsu if that's possible!

This is totally normal. The problem is a common one.

Most cars nowadays, especially performance orientated ones, wear the inner edge of the rear tyres at a fast rate.

This is due to the way they are set up from factory with toe in and negative camber to create sporty handling characteristics.

This creates a saw tooth or castellated wear pattern on the inner edge of the tyre as it is essentially being dragged across the road whilst in a straight line and can also create a noise akin to a rear wheel bearing failing.

Having a FRSU or 4 wheel alignment carried out will require camber adjustment equipment such as rear arms and front bolts. It's usually a good idea to couple it with lowering springs at the same time and to have the alignment done with fresh tyres.

Lowering them Without any alignment correction makes the issue worse.

Once carried out, It's not going to solve the issue however, although having the alignment set to stricter more accurate tolerances may increase tyre life as well as improving the handling dramatically.

Back