• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fault code P0341 story inside :)

Ok so around 4-500 miles ago I replaced my timing chain, tensioner and guides. All genuine Honda parts and then since the car has been sat for around a month due to waiting on a gearbox rebuild and other work.

I went to the car to take it in to work and swap gearboxes to a horrible rattle on start up :-/ but went away instantly (sounded like timing chain rattle) it went away and I drove the car to work, fitted new gearbox etc and took it down the road and the car gets to 4.5k where vtec usually kicks in and instead of vtec kicking in it just runs poorly?? (At this point no engine light or anything) so I take the car back to work scan it and I get a fault code in EPS system (22- excessive change of vehicle speed sensor) I'm gathering this is down to fitting a M factory 5.46 final drive and it's changing what the VSS is picking up? Still no engine light so I drove it again and still no vtec etc but this time engine light on (P0341- CMP sensor "A" and CKP sensor incorrect phase detected) and now I am getting this dreaded rattle on the odd start up and sometimes even when running.

Now this fault code clearly heads towards timing issue of some sort and the rattle made me even more worried about what's going on. So the car wasn't driven anymore and I have now checked timing and it's a tooth out?? I have also stripped the side casing off to see if it shines a light on what's happened... Still can't really see what's gone wrong :( I'm not sure if it's a tensioner fault as this code would commonly come up for a stretched chain to cause timing issues, but I have just replaced everything with genuine bits, was all timed up perfect etc.

My plan from here was to put ANOTHER genuine Honda tensioner on with chain and guides I already brought as I can only assume the tensioner was faulty and go about getting a refund of some sort on the old tensioner?

Any advice would be appreciated, sorry about the massive essay just wanted to show you where I'm up to.

Thanks guys :)

As for the P0011 code (VTC system malfunction) I was gathering this fault is down to the car going in to a limp mode due to timing and not an actual fault or am I wrong? Have I possibly got oil pressure problems causing tensioner failure or VTC system malfunction? I have no oil light on and oil level is fine etc.

If your oil level is fine and you've not mis-shifted and buzzed the engine it's pointing at the tensioner yes. I would definitely replace the chain too as once it's slipped it will keep slipping.

The code is almost certainly due to the timing being out unless you've been very unlucky and the VTC gear on the intake cam has failed.

The tensioner does work on oil pressure, so it might just be worth checking if the oil channels to the tensioner aren't blocked up, stranger things have happened.

It wouldn't be the first time that a new tensioner has given up though. Especially if you tried pre-loading the spring on it rather than just pulling the pin out (pretty sure I've got that the right way round!).

Where did you get the tensioner, chain and guides from out of interest?

This is exactly what I was thinking, I was planning on replacing the lot again but certainly want to go about finding what was at fault and look in to a refund on parts as it cost me over £300 for the parts and a fair few hours of my time and now I am back to square one :(

Parts were purchased from jap service parts.

And yes I had been advised to pre load the tensioner but did not do that as it is a pre set tensioner, I just removed the pin and left it to its own devices so to speak.

its deffo the tensioner or chain stretch, but there are a lot of Chinese chains and guides that are sold on ebay, they are a slightly lighter colour then the normal honda ones and the guide plastic is also softer, these i have seen break and stretch sometimes with in 100 miles

I know I think I may have been robbed a guy I know brought a kit that was "genuine" for a dc2 k20 turbo and the chain snapped within 3 days causing a lot of damage. So I guess on the bright side I was pretty lucky :-/ have just had my new chain and guides delivered DIRECT from Honda, will get the car back together one night this week

Back