• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Faulty head unit??

Hi guys! New to the site!

I'm having an issue with my Fn2 type r that NOBODY seems to have had before & its driving me nuts. If you like a challenge this one is for you!

I'll start with the fault I'm having (this will be a long one sorry)

I click the audio button, the audio screen takes ages to come up on the display & won't stay up, it randomly flicks to the map
&
Whilst engine is running, when I'm on the climate control screen I keep getting a message flash up for a split second saying "please start engine before operating climate control". When this message pops up the screen shows that the heating has turned off but the heating is still going.

I have had this issue with a different headunit, changed the headunit for a second hand replacement & it's been fine for about a year. Yesterday the 2 year old battery randomly went flat. I changed the battery & the fault with the headunit immediately started happening again.

Things I'm not sure if are related but feel might be worth mentioning. I've had to change the alternator too (at 45k miles) & battery twice. My interior motion sensors for the alarm don't work. I have no audio/siren when the alarm is going off (alarm doesn't randomly go off, not that I've noticed the indicators flashing anyway). The radio signal goes when I turn the heated screen/mirrors on.

I appreciate anybody that takes the time to read through this post. I'm at wits' end & I don't feel there's anywhere I could take it apart from Honda & I think they would charge more than the car is worth to fix it

Any advice would be appreciated, even if you've not had the same fault maybe some pointers on where to start diagnosing

If you're having to change the battery, is there something causing drain? How long is the car being left unused?

If you're having to change the battery, is there something causing drain? How long is the car being left unused?
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

The car was driven on the Saturday & wouldn't start on the Monday. No interior lights or any accessories were left on.

Im going to check for a drain the weekend, I have heard about the Bluetooth module being a common issue.

What I can't get my head around is why the head unit keeps playing up every time the battery is disconnected. I have found if I remove the under bonnet fuse #16 for a little while, whilst the battery is still connected, it can sort the issue with the head unit

I'm not sure on that, but it sounds as if something is draining the battery when not in use, I would isolate that and correct and see how it affects the head unit issue.

I'm not sure on that, but it sounds as if something is draining the battery when not in use, I would isolate that and correct and see how it affects the head unit issue.
Just checked the draw on the battery with the car made to think everything is closed & locked. It was drawing 0.12amp/120ma. This seems high to me but after pulling every fuse/relay it didn't change. Any idea if this is high?

Back