• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Feels like the handbrake is on!!!

Hey guys having a tempermental problem with my dc5. Can feel lumpy and feel there is a lack of power sometimes. I have checked the plugs and they are fine, check fluid levels and all is fine. No ecu or warning lights come on when it happens either. What els could it be?? Has anyone els experianced this? Is this a common fault? Any infomation will be helpfull guys. Cheers

Yeh Oil is fine, no that was goin to be the next task but its finding a garage who's scanner will work on my car. Is there any chance it could be somthing to do with the throtle body or map sensor??

check your airbox. You might have something as silly as a partial blockage there such as a leaf.

Had that before, and it was only when pulling hard that the leaf would cover over the inlet and it would drop in power.

Seems like the obvious question given the thread title - have you checked it's not a sticky caliper or anything to do with the brakes? You can normally smell it if it's the caliper.

Seems like the obvious question given the thread title - have you checked it's not a sticky caliper or anything to do with the brakes? You can normally smell it if it's the caliper.

This.

As soon as I read the title this was my first thought.

You will be able to smell, feel and see a sticky caliper.

X3, I'd lift the rear end up, take the handbrake off and see how freely the wheels turn.
If there is ANY resistance, sticky caliper time.

Just hold your hand near the disc when checking to see if it's giving off excess heat. Don't do what I did and think "hmm that seems to be hot, best double check by touching it".

It hurts.

There doesnt seem to be any signs of a sticky caliper, there isnt any black heat rings or excess brake dust and the disks feel pretty cool after a drive. I have a tegiwa gruppe m air box, just taken it off to see if there was anything clogging it up and there was 1 or 2 leafs in there but nothing major. Took it for another drive and all seemed well untill i stopped at the lights and the engine seemed to be lumpy idleing. This problem only seems to be befor vtec in low down Revs. Goin up through the gears putting my foot down and changing gear around 3.5k revs just seems to be like the title of the threads ... Feels like the hand break is on lol

Maybe the chain has slipped a tooth mate. If the chain is out by a tooth, while the VVC mechanism is retarding the timing under normal / low rev loads, it could be out then, but when it steps it up to advanced timing for VTEC engagement, it's falling back within tolerance, so the problem seems to go away....

Might be worth reading the fault codes?

Ill get it checked out think its worth it, no harm in having it plugged in. Ill post back once i have had it checked out, cheers guys.

No faults wen plugged in, iv changed the fuel sender and put some injector clean in and touch wood seems to have cleard it up

Could well have been a bad batch of fuel. This does happen on occasion due to the processes involved no one fill up at the pump will be the same.

Back