• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

finance on a CTR??

Could be a bit of a personal question to some, but has anyone opted to finance a CTR??

Like one other chap on here, I'm DESPERATE to buy one, however being a student living away from home, funds do not permit... but I did recently get a part-time job, and I also have a few business interests and should be able to raise about 6K for a deposit for one by the end of the year (I estimate)...

Is it worth financing a 2nd hand car??? I recently read somewhere that the interest is like 22% or something!?! Thats ridiculous as I know that I could probably pay it all off within the year of owning it..

Please someone explain to me a typical scenario of purchasing a CTR worth say about £10K on finance (maybe PCP, or HP)... with about a £5 - £6K deposit

Thanks guys...

You might be better of getting a loan from a bank or building society - the rates are a a lot lower than that.

But being a student might make things a little tricky unless you have a steady income.

A £6k deposit by the end of the year is very goiod - and in all honesty, by that time you probably wouldn't need too much more for one anyway :wink:

Welsh-Rich said:
.....by that time you probably wouldn't need too much more for one anyway :wink:

Indeed. It's worth bearing in mind that the second hand values of the car are going down rather sharpish at the moment, and I reckon they will drop even more as more details of the replacement due out next year are released.

If I cannot raise the finance (which will probaly be the case) then I'll have to opt for something with as much power but not as desirable...

Really wanna change my lil civic end of the year, or early next year...

Been thinking about a '97+ Prelude 2.2 VTI Motegi. Any good??

What about a Pulsar GTI-R? They are rapid as hell mate and cheap enough nowadays - though I'm not sure about insurance.

Or a DC2? Civic 1.6 VTi? There are loads of pocket rockets about mate for less then the CTR and arguably better to drive.

I really don't like the look of the pulser and the interior is not as comfortable as I'd like.

The civic 1.6 (ek4??) would look and be exactly the same as my current civic but the handling, etc, would be better obviously, but I do want a change...

As for the DC2; would love to have this car, but the insurance would be ridiculous for me as I'd want the JDM spec.. (dont like the look of the UK one).

Any more suggestions mate? You dont think the preludes any good?

I quite like the preludes to be honest.

What about an Accord Type R????? Bit of a sleeper and really nice looking car. CRX isn't a bad move either.

I should think you could get a CTR for around the 6k mark by the end of the year, if not certainly in the first few months of next year - unfortunately for most owners though :(

saboteur said:
Do you really think I could Rich?

The CTR I'm after is a nice, reliable, black facelift model...

Ah....think the facelift models may be slightly more costly than the pre ones, but you never know. The prices of both might come tumbling once the full spec and order sheets for the '07 CTR come out.

It's worth aving up until then anyway - that way you will know exactly where you stand come December - you may find yourself pleasantly surprised! :D

What about a Celica 190??

A friend has one, and they're beautiful inside and out... they're fairly fast, good looks, and you can get it cheaper then a CTR.

Celica's are very nice too - lets face it any Jap 'performance' car is going to be fairly reliable - but you'll just have to ask yourself are you going for the celica as a second option or because you like it.

If you want a CTR - then just wait that bit longer and get one. You will only regret spending money on a car that deep down you didn't really want in the first place.

Saying that no bad cars have been mentioned so far, I'd be pretty happy with any of them :D

Well I do actually think that the Celica is better looking then the CTR... but it doesn't have that 'hot hatch' feel to it, and isn't as exciting to drive... but it is better value for money as you can get leathers, AC, etc... all quite commonly...

But you are right, don't think I'd be as happy still as it won't have that 'raw' feel to it... and I really do love Honda...

Hmm... just looking at some Integras on pistonheads now... :cry:

OMG, I just thought of it, the DC2s are also going to obv lower in price over the next few months... so I should be able to get a pretty good JDM DC2 (in black) for 5-6K.. would you guys agree??

Insurance will be extremely expensive (2-3K) I imagine...

saboteur said:
OMG, I just thought of it, the DC2s are also going to obv lower in price over the next few months... so I should be able to get a pretty good JDM DC2 (in black) for 5-6K.. would you guys agree??

Insurance will be extremely expensive (2-3K) I imagine...

Best way to check the insurance is to go for some online quotes from the usual, Tesco, DIrect Line, Egg, ect ect - it will give you a very rought idea.

As for the JDM tegs....Nat sold her's recently and I believe it was advertised for under £6k, and it was a real mint condition car.

If you look fro long enough you will be amazed at what you find - and I think you could get a pleasant surprise with the insurance too.

What would you say would be the highest acceptable milage for one of these to ensure reliability?? (assuming ownership for about 2 yrs with about 30K miles)...

saboteur said:
Could be a bit of a personal question to some, but has anyone opted to finance a CTR??

Like one other chap on here, I'm DESPERATE to buy one, however being a student living away from home, funds do not permit... but I did recently get a part-time job, and I also have a few business interests and should be able to raise about 6K for a deposit for one by the end of the year (I estimate)...

Is it worth financing a 2nd hand car??? I recently read somewhere that the interest is like 22% or something!?! Thats ridiculous as I know that I could probably pay it all off within the year of owning it..

Please someone explain to me a typical scenario of purchasing a CTR worth say about £10K on finance (maybe PCP, or HP)... with about a £5 - £6K deposit

Thanks guys...

Best thing to do is get a loan from the bank coz they will do a lower interest rate and just pay the bank off instead of a car loan.

saboteur said:
What would you say would be the highest acceptable milage for one of these to ensure reliability?? (assuming ownership for about 2 yrs with about 30K miles)...

I'm no expert on the DC2 - but i know a few people have clocked 70-100k mileage and really have no problem with them at all 8)

It's a Honda after all - don't think the mileage is an issue :D

Yeah but if I get one thats got say 90K miles on it and I do another 30K (before selling), then that'll clock up 120K, not only will it be extremely hard to sell but things like the clutch might go??

Just want something that won't cause any problems like my little civic (touch wood).. My civic has under 40K miles.

So should I be looking for one with 60-80K or less?? or does it really not matter in your opinion mate... u have an integra, you should know...

Back