• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 First buy track project!

Hi all,

Im new to the honda vtec world but im excited to get started! My plans are simple, buy a ep3, convert it into a track car! Id like some pointers if anybody can help would be much appriciated! Ive tuned a few of my past cars, first one was a focus st mk2 was running stage 4 at 378bhp, and i currebtly own a new astra gtc vxr!
I have no plans to tune the vxr but instead i want to get the civic and have it as a good toy to have lots of fun in. Now from what i can gather from reading on the forum and speaking to he very helpfull guy at tdi north.
Its not going to be as expencive as i thought. My budget for a ep3 is around 3k give or take £500. I know what stuff to look out for and from what i can gatger 3500 would get me a decent one with around 70-110k on the clock, im not massively fussed about millage as long as the cars beong well looked after and has all paperwork present, FSH, etc. Now as far as mods go for the track my plans are as follows;

Full exhaust with manifold,
Intake manifold and caic,
Oil cooler,
Stage 2 Clutch,
Dampeners,
Big brake upgrade,
Tyres,
Stripped and caged,
LSD,
Rarb,
Upper strut,
New chain and tentioner if needed and valve clearences all checked.

Now thats just from what ive researched myself is there anything else you guys reccomend and has any body dont something similar, if so what is your experiences.

Cheers guys much appriciated.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Welcome on board

The EP3 has a cracking engine already, which is perfect on track. Brakes are the biggest weak point if you drive hard, and your BBK should be a top priority. Tyres, suspension and wheel alignment next in my opinion.

You'll gain much more from that on track than you will extra power :)

Welcome on board

The EP3 has a cracking engine already, which is perfect on track. Brakes are the biggest weak point if you drive hard, and your BBK should be a top priority. Tyres, suspension and wheel alignment next in my opinion.

You'll gain much more from that on track than you will extra power :)
Thanks mate alpriciate it.
Would a set of performance discs and pads coupled with some braided hoses be ok or would you reccomend a big brake conversion mate? Also have you tracked yours?

I'd go for the k system pro brembo kit again in a heart beat. I had pbs pads which were much better than the ds2500, but I still got fade fairly easily.

Upgraded to the Renault rs brembos with Carbotech pads and it made a huge difference. I had so much more faith in the brakes and they had far more left in them. Not a single problem or hint of fade.

Brakes, tyres and geometry made the biggest difference. Hoping for a LSD and maybe a final drive reduction next year if I can.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

A sump baffle would be pretty high on my list for a track car. Should be more than capable with the mods you have listed.

I'd go for the k system pro brembo kit again in a heart beat. I had pbs pads which were much better than the ds2500, but I still got fade fairly easily.

Upgraded to the Renault rs brembos with Carbotech pads and it made a huge difference. I had so much more faith in the brakes and they had far more left in them. Not a single problem or hint of fade.

Brakes, tyres and geometry made the biggest difference. Hoping for a LSD and maybe a final drive reduction next year if I can.

Nice ill look into that mate, this is all great exsacly what i needed cheers lads..
A sump baffle would be pretty high on my list for a track car. Should be more than capable with the mods you have listed.
Yes sorry i should of included that in my initial list as the guy at tdi north reccomended a sump baffle! Ill be getting them to do all the work, lookimg foward to see hlw it all pans out and i will defo start a progress thread :)

Yes definitely a baffle. Clockwise motion drop in seems favourite.

I'd also say that all of these mods aren't needed before going on track. You'd probably benefit from the experience of the car in its various forms then notice the difference while adding better parts to it.

This might have a bearing in which areas you plan to upgrade and in which order.

Hi all,

Im new to the honda vtec world but im excited to get started! My plans are simple, buy a ep3, convert it into a track car! Id like some pointers if anybody can help would be much appriciated! Ive tuned a few of my past cars, first one was a focus st mk2 was running stage 4 at 378bhp, and i currebtly own a new astra gtc vxr!
I have no plans to tune the vxr but instead i want to get the civic and have it as a good toy to have lots of fun in. Now from what i can gather from reading on the forum and speaking to he very helpfull guy at tdi north.
Its not going to be as expencive as i thought. My budget for a ep3 is around 3k give or take £500. I know what stuff to look out for and from what i can gatger 3500 would get me a decent one with around 70-110k on the clock, im not massively fussed about millage as long as the cars beong well looked after and has all paperwork present, FSH, etc. Now as far as mods go for the track my plans are as follows;

Full exhaust with manifold,
Intake manifold and caic,
Oil cooler,
Stage 2 Clutch,
Dampeners,
Big brake upgrade,
Tyres,
Stripped and caged,
LSD,
Rarb,
Upper strut,
New chain and tentioner if needed and valve clearences all checked.

Now thats just from what ive researched myself is there anything else you guys reccomend and has any body dont something similar, if so what is your experiences.

Cheers guys much appriciated.

Fellow VXR owner here

Go tune that VXR. They are great out the box but even better once remapped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fellow VXR owner here

Go tune that VXR. They are great out the box but even better once remapped

Ahhh another well educated fellow yeah it is a machine mate but got 12 months warrenty on it atm so soon as thats off full fat stage 3

Good list, if you're staying N/A I'd just put an OEM clutch in again, it'll be perfectly fine.

My track EP3 is great fun with not much done to it.

Stoptech 330mm BBK (with braided hoses and Motul RBF600 fluid)
Clockwise sump baffle
Spoon cat-back
S2000 air filter
Tow straps
Stripped interior
Tegiwa short shift (I hate it but my brother loves it)
Polybushed lower arms
Adjustable rear camber arms and front camber bolts
JDM rear ARB
'FRSU'
R888R's (Dry)
Goodyear AS2 (Middle)
Uniroyal rainsport 3 (Wet)

Main thing we did was spend a day doing all the major servicing and have regularly checked the car over and kept on top of anything it needs.

Still on the original timing chain at 138k, car did about 700 miles last year, track only.

Good list, if you're staying N/A I'd just put an OEM clutch in again, it'll be perfectly fine.

My track EP3 is great fun with not much done to it.

Stoptech 330mm BBK (with braided hoses and Motul RBF600 fluid)
Clockwise sump baffle
Spoon cat-back
S2000 air filter
Tow straps
Stripped interior
Tegiwa short shift (I hate it but my brother loves it)
Polybushed lower arms
Adjustable rear camber arms and front camber bolts
JDM rear ARB
'FRSU'
R888R's (Dry)
Goodyear AS2 (Middle)
Uniroyal rainsport 3 (Wet)

Main thing we did was spend a day doing all the major servicing and have regularly checked the car over and kept on top of anything it needs.

Still on the original timing chain at 138k, car did about 700 miles last year, track only.
Sweet that all sounds class id love to see how it drives!! Is keeping it N/A the best to keep things simple, i mean is it a massive mess about to go supercharger route? Noticed tts do 3 different verions the rotex sport, think the super sport and the race, if i went for the lower speck 'sport' one would i need to start strengthning the internals clutch etc?

Also where are you mate?

Got plenty of footage on YouTube :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/KrzysVTi/videos

Internals from what I've read should be fine with a supercharger, my brother and I are hoping to go down that route in the future and then when the clutch dies we'll replace it accordingly. First though we need better suspension, roll cage, better seats and a harness.

Based in Nottingham chap, how about yourself?

Don’t bother with a ‘stage 2’ clutch or any other ‘upgraded’ clutch kits. Majority are actually worse and don’t last as long or fail catastrophically causing further damage. Genuine Honda clutch is more than capable for any N/A set up and can be had for around £150 brand new if you look around.

Do brakes, suspension, sump baffle and away you go. Don’t need much else and money spent on power is much better spent elsewhere for a track car.

Back