• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 First day .... first concern

Picked up my 09 plate FN2 Type R today with only 12300miles. As an engineer I've been building a common fault document as I did with my 320d and 2000plate Beetle!!

Apart from being more aware of how firm a ride it is, which I didn't notice on the test drive (with my rose tinted specs on ;) ) I was conscious of the notch in the clutch pedal during its range of movement.

It's certainly more obvious than I expected and doesn't feel like the spring!

Do I need to get me ar$e in some other Type Rs to compare or do you folks think its normal enough?

Regards, Ian

If the "notch" is about 1/4 the way down when you press the pedal, then its a knackered pedal - common.
If its about 3/4 the way down, then its a knackered master cylinder - common.

I got through 3-4 of each during my time with the FN2. Fixed under warranty. But Honda havent done anything to address the problem with the replacement parts, so they will be knackered again in no time!

Enjoy!

I'm on my second Fn2 both owned from new from first release 57 plate and now 09 plate. The 09 feels much better build quality than the earlier one. I have to say, that I have never had any fault arise with either!

I've not had any issues with the clutch pedal on mine apart from the well documented whine when setting off with a cold car in cold weather. I'd get it back in at the dealers like civeeek says. It's a pain but they should sort it.

I can't recommend the Eibach springs highly enough. Having them fitted has transformed the ride quality on my car. If you get a full geometry setup (fast road set-up it's known as) done at the same time, it makes sense as you will save on labour costs if you did it at a later date, the grip levels are increased dramatically.

On the FN2 the fast road set-up involves having front camber bolts fitted and shims on the rear. Doing the rear is where the cost comes in with regards to the labour, but if you are getting the springs fitted most of the work has already been done in getting to the springs.

It might seem like a faff, and if you are not into modding, springs and fast road set-up are the only but most beneficial modifications I'd still do to the car. :smt023

Back