• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

First EP3 Build So Far !!!

My life so far with a Honda Civic type R

So I purchased my first CTR on 11/07/2014 and got it for a good price which left me a little money to spend on it.
This turned out to be quite lucky as there where a few essential things that needed doing and then I wanted to change a few bits and bobs.
First up I had to replace the driver’s side window moulding at the side of the windscreen, these appear to be a Honda only part and was £68 plus delivery, alongside this I needed some new bulbs for the dials again I couldn’t find these anywhere else so 4 bulbs £8 each!!
Then it required 2 front tyres, upon fitting these I realised it also needed front pads and discs, luckily found a set on fleabay for £75 for both discs and pads. While tracking the car I had a check of some of the other parts and found it the drop links where badly worn.
So booked her in for a full service and to have the drop links fitted, the mechanic kindly fixed another issue for me which was the heat shield on the Cat rattling at 3 – 3.5 RPM

Whilst also in for service I rang him and said there was an AUX belt in the boot if he had time within the budget could he fit this for me.
So that was the main things on the car done which were important – runs like a dream now!
Also the Car came with a private plate M20 CTR which didn’t mean much to me until I found the receipt and realised it’s My 2.0 Civic Type R – undecided whether or not I like this and will probably remove and sell and just go back to original!

Now onto the Fun stuff!
I then ordered a Neuspeed quick shift kit which makes the gear changes so much crisper!
A billet camber kit with rear tie bar and rear strut brace, apart from the camber kit the rear tie and strut don’t make much of a difference but look the part,

The car had a Clifford 950 Alarm fitted which someone had butchered so I re wired this and its now all up and running even managed to find the pin code in all the receipts I have for the car!

I then proceeded to engine dress up, I put engine degreaser all over the engine bay and gave it a good thorough cleaning, although I am a little disappointed at the paint work on the rocker cover and just above the cooling plate, these are on the list for future to replace.
So to start with I ordered the Tegiwa Engine Bolt kit which looks beautiful compared to OEM bolts,
Along with this I ordered Tegiwa Battery Tie bar and fitting kit.
Tegiwa Carbon inlet cover and Carbon plug Cover.
NeoChrome Oil Cap
Engine bay is looking great now just needs a new painted cam cover.
I cut some red tubing down as a cheap way of covering some of the pipes without having to get Samco Hoses as these are very expensive!
Someone had removed the air box and fitted an aftermarket kit but had left a huge gaping hole where the old box sat so water was splashing up off the wheel and onto the air filter causing the car to raise RPM on its own

I then proceeded to engine dress up, I put engine degreaser all over the engine bay and gave it a good thorough cleaning, although I am a little disappointed at the paint work on the rocker cover and just above the cooling plate, these are on the list for future to replace.
So to start with I ordered the Tegiwa Engine Bolt kit which looks beautiful compared to OEM bolts,
Along with this I ordered Tegiwa Battery Tie bar and fitting kit.
Tegiwa Carbon inlet cover and Carbon plug Cover.
NeoChrome Oil Cap
Engine bay is looking great now just needs a new painted cam cover.
I cut some red tubing down as a cheap way of covering some of the pipes without having to get Samco Hoses as these are very expensive!
Someone had removed the air box and fitted an aftermarket kit but had left a huge gaping hole where the old box sat so water was splashing up off the wheel and onto the air filter causing the car to raise RPM on its own when in the wet!!!! Fixed this with a cheap sheet of aluminium off Fleabay bent into shape and used some of the left over Tegiwa bolts and washer to fit into place looks tidy.
Then I purchased a sheet of Carbon wrap as the roof and bonnet had already been done but was peeling in places so I re did the bonnet for a cleaner look.
Added a Benen Tow Hook to the rear which really does look the part!
And some lovely person stole my front Type R badge somehow!!! Without breaking the grill, so new badge looks better anyway!
Tinted the 2 rear side windows – left rear windscreen clean (personal Preference)
Rear heated glass doesn’t seem to work will have to investigate this as it’s something I have never looked at before, all wires seem to be intact so hoping it’s just a fuse or something simple, will update later.

Then I moved inside,

There wasn’t really much to update inside as the interior on the EP3 is beautiful I did however realise who ever owned this car before me had butchered the wiring for the CD player and the front speakers didn’t work.
So back to Fleabay ordered a new stereo which doesn’t actually play CDs just USB SD and Aux and it was only £30!!! And is actually one of the best Stereos I have owned and I have had some real sound systems!
So out with the old in with the new ordered a Facia kit from ebay £12 including ISO cable adapter and Antenna extension.
Got myself some Alpine 5.25 front door speakers as the OEM are less than pathetic (could of just been mine being old and tired) and now she sounds brilliant inside.
And that’s where I am up to at the moment, currently broke haha!
Waiting for delivery of:

Pressed Metal Plates
Team Heko Wind Deflectors
Skunk2 Weighted Black Gear Knob
Replacement Red door cards as mine are cracked.
Induction Heat Shield
Blue LED 12V lighter
Silver Mugen window stickers
Future Mods to include
Mugen front lip
Mugen Grill,
Either Vented Bonnet or Carbon Vented Bonnet
Tegiwa Carbon Induction Kit
New Red or Painted Rocket Cover

If anyone has any ideas or any questions please ask, I will follow up with some pictures soon just getting everything together as I’ve done a lot of work since I got it and its only been 4 Days!!!!

Attachments

• 20140713_161540.jpg
    20140713_161540.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 20140714_192443.jpg
    20140714_192443.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 36
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20140714_214034.jpg
    20140714_214034.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 36
UPDATE,

Just got this back from the Garage again, turns out he thinks it could be the Top Mounts knocking.

advised not to worry about them until they annoy me that much I have to replace them.

anyone have an estimation on price of replacing top mounts?

Update!

Hi Guys,

Wind Deflectors arrived today,

along with brake discs and pads so more work tonight!

Attachments

• 20140714_192443.jpg
    20140714_192443.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 18
  • 20140714_214034.jpg
    20140714_214034.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 15
Thanks pal still at it everyday after work when i can catch the Sun!!

Update got my Pressed Plates on and wind deflectors.

fixed the speaker wiring - who ever owned this before me made a right mess!!!

Attachments

• 20140715_203511.jpg
    20140715_203511.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 21
  • 20140715_203519.jpg
    20140715_203519.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 28
Update!!

Just ordered my footwell lighting kit from Loxy £17 absolute bargain!

also ordered a nice sub-woofer with capacitor and couple of switches to turn sub and foot well on and off.

also got rid of the cheap Chinese cd player nad opted for a Sony Gt550 got one cheap of a friend.

hope it all comes for the weekend!!

Just received my Skunk2 Weighter Gearknob

Its amazing how much a little black ball of metal can make the inside look so much better.

:D

Looking good bud.

Engine bay looks nice and clean. Something I have been wanting to do but scared I might mess something up lol.

yeah i was a little concerned but i just did it one bolt at a time made sure everything goes back where it should do.

Just need a new Cam cover so its nice and shiny and either polish or paint the inlet.

should be spot on then!

Thanks pal,

new stereo, switches and RickRR lighting kit came yesterday but car is in garage for Helicoil kit in gearbox drain "some previous owner decided to strip the threads!" so hopefully pick her up tomorrow and continue installing :D

UPDATE!

Got the Sony headunit in "much clearer than the ebay cheapo"

fitted a switch to wire up to subwoofer to turn on and off.

subwoofer arrived yesterday just need a few hours spare to fit it in tidy.

needing some extra ground wire for the capacitor.

and going to give it a good clean try and jet wash all the oil off the underside after the plug catastrophe!!

Back