• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

First impressions - Stoptech 328mm 4-piston brake kit - Civic Type-R EP3

Hi everyone

I've had the Stoptech kit fitted and thought I'd give it a write-up due to the amount it costs. This makes it a fairly big decision for anyone with a Type-R so I thought I'd share my experience.

I'll preface this with the fact I've ran several brake conversions in the past (albeit on other cars) including Monster, Hi-Spec, Tar-Ox along with various other setups and a variety of pads. On the EP3 I've ran oem size Brembo and oem size EBC with uprated discs and pad materials, along with braided lines and Motul RBF600 fluid. I've also done a decent amount of trackdays and karting championships.

I had the kit fitted at Grinspeed whom I can't recommend enough. They are very thorough but also very reasonably priced on the labour and often don't add things on when they could.

The kit comes in at £1849 fitted at Grinspeed, I opted for the Ferodo DS2500 pads at £100+ vat extra which isn't bad. The fitting was straightforward other than a small shim on the n/s caliper (see what I mean about thorough!). Grinspeed also recommended retaining my existing braided lines (Wezmoto) as they appeared to be better quality. After bleeding and some fresh fluid it was time for bedding in.

The discs are zinc coated to prevent corrosion, the swept area was cleaned off just reversing the car out of the garage. A few brief applications of the brakes finished this off. I was assuming a 200-500 mile run-in on the pads, but as they are a racing compound Stevie informed me the correct procedure is to (and I quote) "Kick their tits in" :lol: That means ten 60-10mph decelerations spread over a few minutes to really get the pads hot and bedded in.

So whats the kit like?

Well my expectations were fairly reserved, I was hoping for less fading on the track and a little more braking power that comes with the clamping power of the 4-pots and the increased disc size. I didn't expect the Honda's rubbish pedal feel and lack of servo assistance to be affected at all. In short I hoped for durability and a bit more bite.

The results:

The first thing I noticed was the initial bite of the kit, even bedding in they would grab the disc instantly and cleanly. The next thing I noticed is the progression of the pedal, if you imagine a smooth curve of action between "light bite" and full brake effect - this kit does it. You can smoothly and progressively apply as much stopping power as you want. In that sense they are an excellent proposition for the road.

The real shock came with the pedal planted, my collar bone now hurts. I became totally aware of my own body weight as I was mashed into the seatbelt :lol: 60-10mph was a painful experience and the pads weren't even up to temperature. And they have just got better and better ever since. Interesting that in a bench test, the Stoptechs came out as substantially stiffer than Brembos (see YouTube). I tested them for an emergency stop from 120mph and the car was wonderfully stable barely squirming at all as it almost stood on it's nose, a sign of good brake balance. Indeed Stoptech claim the kit doesn't affect brake balance at all.

To summarise - I feel this kit transforms the Type-R's worst feature into it's best. What were once inadequate brakes for spirited driving (let alone track use) are now truly god-like. I'd give the kit 4.5 / 5 for pedal feel, 5/5 for stopping power, 5/5 for balance and 4.5/5 for looks. Yes they are the best part of £2k with the DS2500s, but people will spend that on a handful of engine modifications to release 20bhp. Which makes more difference?

20140320_153820_zps717610a0.jpg

One final note is the kit does clear the standard wheels without a spacer, aftermarket rims are therefore not needed. I wish I'd known this earlier but hey that's how it goes!

I cannot wait to get this on the track on Monday and report back on how many cars I manage to out-brake :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Good write up. :smt023

I rated this kit very highly when I had my FN2.

Great review, but I'm not sure that more stopping power is necessary...oem brakes, rc5+ pads, ate rotors and 595rsr tires and abs kicks in...so tires are already giving up...heat is the only problem...(but I hope to solve this with cooling ducts)
Anyway, this bbk is great and i'd love to have it on my ep3...but it's about 1/4 price of my car :(

One final note is the kit does clear the standard wheels with a small spacer, aftermarket rims are therefore not needed. I wish I'd known this earlier but hey that's how it goes!

If you're interested on selling those rims, let me know haha

Great write up, I'd recommend trying the Pagid blue rs4-2 pads with these brakes though when you need to change them, personally not a fan of the ds2500 on track

Hi, i have just recently purchased these and i am so looking forward to it. One question about fitting, did you need to remove the dust plates to help them fit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back