• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fitting lowering springs yourself?

Has anyone done this without the aid of a garage? I've bought some and thought, if it's not too hard would I manage this on my own?

Scott

as long as you have some common sense, and are handy with a socket, you can easiliy do this yourself. might take all day mind!

ive done it a few times now, and could probably talk you through it.

get a mate to help too!

Sean

the rear bolts that go through the bottom of the shock are the ones that will be siezed if any, took me ages to get the n/s rear off, the o/s rear was completley siezed, had to admit defeat and take to a garage.

The job itself is easy peasy mate...............the EP3 is an easy car to work on i reckon

^ get 2 sets of spring compressors... I've seen one let go and it could have easily killed me/put me in hospital. It missed my head by about a foot and ended up about 10 meters away in my garden. Best to have 4 of them at 90° intervals rather than 2 at 180°

Well this sounds more complicated than I thought, maybe I should pay someone to do it. Spring clamps, seized bolts & near death experiences are maybe more then I can afford at the moment :lol: Thanks for the advice fellow TRO'ers :D :D :D

Well this sounds more complicated than I thought, maybe I should pay someone to do it. Spring clamps, seized bolts & near death experiences are maybe more then I can afford at the moment :lol: Thanks for the advice fellow TRO'ers :D :D :D

:lol:

the rear bolts that go through the bottom of the shock are the ones that will be siezed if any, took me ages to get the n/s rear off, the o/s rear was completley siezed, had to admit defeat and take to a garage.

The job itself is easy peasy mate...............the EP3 is an easy car to work on i reckon
theyre pretty easy to fit mate just use common sense and if you have a mate with a ramp will save you alot of time. use spring clamps too mind. i wouldnt o as far as sayin that the ep3 is a easy car to work on , engine bay is pretty tight compared to what my delsol SiR was

there isnt really any preload on the springs, so clamps arn't needed.

start using WD40 on the bolts daily a week before you are going to change them, and you should be ok.

get a decent ball joint seperator too. i broke a cheap one, then bought a laser tools one from halfords and its been spot on

Sean

there isnt really any preload on the springs, so clamps arn't needed.

start using WD40 on the bolts daily a week before you are going to change them, and you should be ok.

get a decent ball joint seperator too. i broke a cheap one, then bought a laser tools one from halfords and its been spot on

Sean
i did notice that with the rears , but with the fronts i compressed them just to be on the safe side with mine

I know! lol

When I was doing mine the other week, we had 3 corners done and I though all was well until we came to the last bolt on the rear shocker.... grrrrrr.

I was nearly reduced to tears on my mates 3 year old clio a wee while back. I dread to think how difficult my 11 year old ones would be :(

WD40 and heat FTW.

Coilovers are so much easier. Shame they're a minimum of 4 times the price.

In essence it's easy; I'd say the most important/hardest (aside bolts) is compressing the springs.

Unfortunatly heat wasn't an option, my lower rear bolt ahd seized inside the bush, heat would of melted the bush. The grinder had to come out to play!

Back