• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fitting solid shifter bushes EP3

Guide to fitting Tegiwa new-style solid shifter bushes.

These are the pack contents (minus the split pins that I forgot to include):

The eight silver bushes are for the shifter linkage behind the centre console. Numbers 1-7 are for the linkage underneath the airbox.
#3 fits inside #1, and #6 holds it in place. #2 fits inside #3, though mine needed sanded. I used masking tap around a bolt to hold #2, then put it in a drill and sanded it. These can be assembled before going to the car.
#5 goes in the groove around the outside of #1, likewise #7 goes around #4. These are fitted when bushes are on the vehicle.

You will also need:
8,10,12 and 14mm sockets/spanners.
Needle nose pliers.
Screwdrivers.

Interior Bushes.

Remove the centre console. It is possible to fit bushes without removing the upper console, though I think it would make a fiddly job far more difficult.
Console removal guide: http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?92877-Centre-console-removal-EP3

Do not drop anything during this process, it will be a massive pain to retrieve!

These are the four bolts that hold the bushes, remove them completely with a 10mm socket. The green arrows show the cable link, these can be removed if required.

The bushes and metal tubes inside can now be removed, this is the fiddly bit. Pull the linkage towards you, then push the metal tubes out of the back of the bush, it is tight so be careful not to drop anything. Push the rubber bushes out of the hole.

To fit the new bushes: Thread a bush onto the bolt and set it to one side. Carefully place the other bush behind the linkage and hold it firmly in place, put your pre-bushed bolt through the hole and give it a few turns so that nothing will fall off, but you can still move the linkage to accommodate the other bushes. Repeat for all four bolts. Tighten everything up and breathe a sigh of relief. Refit cable linkages if removed. Refit console.

Engine bay bushes.

Remove the airbox to allow access.

Remove split pin. Slide cable linkage away from mounting pin, save the metal and plastic washers. Be careful with the cable linkage, they are fragile and expensive to replace.

Use a flat screwdriver to work the rubber bush free. They can be very reluctant to come out, keep working around the outside of the bush until you can press it out.
Fit new bush, in this photo bush #4, then fit locking ring #7.

Slide cable linkage back onto mounting pin, replace metal and plastic washers and fit new split pin. Repeat process for other linkage. Replace airbox.

Nice write up dude.

Can you get new OEM bushes to replace all these ones too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I imagine you can get them, though knowing Honda it will cost you more than you are willing to pay....

I was genuinely surprised at the condition of the rubber bushes I removed, they were dirty but perfectly functional, no degradation to speak of. Judging by my car; I imagine the original bushes will quite easily last twenty years.

The slop in the gear lever (the noticeable lateral movement when in gear) seems to be created by the wear in the plastic ball joint at the bottom of the lever itself. I don't think that you can buy this part separately, though a new Honda shifter assembly or Buddyclub short shifter should cure this problem. Mine is around 6-8mm, I have seen far worse.

Great write up, can I ask how you got 6 into 1? I agree with you about the sloppiness being in the plastic ball joint, I bought these to cure that but once I removed the centre dash I could see the play was in that, might aswell fit these now I've bought them though.

6 into 1: You've got to split the ring, just like you would on a keyring, then feed the end into the slot and work your way around. It is rather fiddly.

I've recently put engine and gearbox mount inserts in, that also significantly helps the feel of the shift. Mine still has a little play, but far less than it did two months ago.

Thanks for that, managed to get it in using that teqhnique, feeding it and pressing at the same time. I'm planning on engine and gearbox mounts, there's not a great deal of play in mine guess I'm just being picky.

Yeah, it took me a good while before I even realised you could split the rings, then a good bit more experimentation before I got it right.

I'm super-picky too. The engine and gearbox mounts definitely rate amongst my favourite mods, so much racecar. I think the shifter bushes and mounts combine well, certainly greater than the sum of the parts.

Back