• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FIX: Sticking fuel flap EP3

Hi all

Had a problem with the fuel flap release on my newly acquired EP3 (picked her up yesterday!). Pulling the release lever would not pop the flap open - would have to have someone hold the lever up whilst gently levering the flap open with a screwdriver with cloth around it (so as not to scratch the paint).

Firstly tried adjusting the cable on the release lever, to do this you have to use a small flat screwdriver to remove the access panel near the fuel flap release, once its off remove the phillips screw and the 10mm bolt holing the release lever housing down. Then loosen the long plastic trim that covers the release lever housing and goes down the sill on the front drivers side. Do this by gently pulling and applying even pressure to the trim and the clips will pop out.

You should now be able to lift the trim enough to slide the release lever mechanism out from under the trim.

Once you have access to it, remove the cable from the lever, then unclip the outside of the cable from the holder (white part with 3 notches), move this backwards or forwards depending weather or not you want to tighten or loosen the cable, then clip it back in and re-assemble.

The cable should now be properly adjusted, if the flap still doesnt open (like mine didnt) use the above method to open the fuel flap, check for correct operation of the locking pin near the fuel cap, it should go in when you pull the cable and come back out when you release the cable. If it works as it should, try bending the latch on the fuel cap (which the pin locks into) inwards slightly towards the centre of the cap.

Close the flap and pull the lever and it should pop the fuel flap open allowing access to the filler cap. Bending the latch back fixed mine its now operating as it should, thank god!

Hope this guide helps, ps not a bad idea to apply a little grease to all moving parts on the lever and flap mechanisms whilst your in there.

Jay

Same thing happened on the ep1. I just bent the bar in the first instance. Too much faff on to be adjusting cables.

If it doesn't open you can access the fuel flap release from inside the boot,just take off the panel to access rear bulbs ,twist the release catch and fuel flap pops open.

Back