• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Fixing the grindy and notchy FN2 gearbox

Right guys, for anyone looking to get their fn2 notchy or Grindy gears sorted out, these guys Grinspeed Motorsport are the absolute best, and also there prices are incredible.

Professional work, for less than half the price I would have paid anywhere else, I was quoted 1900 for all that work by a garage down here near Southampton so I dug around and found this place which quoted the same work for only 900, they found more issues than was previously inspected once the box was opened but the price was still amazing, and now my car drives like a dream. Honestly can't reccomend them enough, it was so worth the drive up to Preston and staying over for one night to have it done, and the flywheel and synchros are a lifetime guarantee too. Also I would have done an lsd at the same time but I was completely out of funds after this job anyway haha

After trying so many cheap solutions such as changing the gearbox oil, fitting shifter bushes, and a short shifter I can safely say this is the only true way to cure it.

If your gears are grinding something is wrong, dont try cheap solutions, get it checked out.

What they found:
Flywheel had several hot spots on it
Clutch friction plate was worn to nothing
Clutch springs were stiffened up
2nd gear teeth were worn down
2nd and 3rd gear synchros were buggered
And one of the gearbox bearings was bad

What they did:
Fitted MFactory flywheel
Fitted carbon synchros to all 6 gears
Replaced the 2nd gear and hub with genuine Honda ones
New oem exedy clutch
New counter shaft upper bearing

Stevie and Don are top guys and have done plenty of work for me including my box + LSD.

No issues at all and always a joy watching them work, especially how quickly they can have the box stripped down.

Another vote for Stevie's work, top notch!

Shame you couldn't go for an LSD as well, great bit of kit to have.

Also shows that anyone suggesting adding mods to cure a clearly broken is daft, I mean if you're struggling to get second gear and it's whining, I don't understand how a short shifter, or shifter bushes are meant to improve that? Anyway I digress, good stuff getting it sorted.

Where are they based? Looked online and found Preston.

Wanted to make sure they were the same guys that's all

What did they charge for all that?

When I went it was ballpark:
£345 for clutch, labour and fluids
£200 Flywheel
£345 synchros plus 1hr labour (£56ish)
? Bearing but guess at £50ish
? 2nd gear but guess around £200ish+

As he's already in there most of the labour would be "free" once you've paid for the clutch with extra hour to strip, clean and rebuild the complete box which I found fair.
Popped a nice racepack LSD in too ;)

When I went it was ballpark:
£345 for clutch, labour and fluids
£200 Flywheel
£345 synchros plus 1hr labour (£56ish)
? Bearing but guess at £50ish
? 2nd gear but guess around £200ish+

As he's already in there most of the labour would be "free" once you've paid for the clutch with extra hour to strip, clean and rebuild the complete box which I found fair.
Popped a nice racepack LSD in too ;)
He's already done my Clutch. Might just get a box oil change done though.

Back