• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Fk2 &Fk8 Ron Value

I've recently read with interest an Article covered by Auto Express about the fk8 and that the only engine available is the 2 litre dfi turbo and is basically the same engine as in the fk2 but tuned to develop 10bhp more thanks to the new exhaust system.
It goes on to say,Honda has tuned the civic type R's engine to work on 95ron unleaded fuel,but it recommends you use 98 Ron and higher premium Ron unleaded for best performance from the engine and to help prevent premature engine wear.Do I take it then that this applies to the same basic engine fitted to the fk2? as this wasn't stated in the reviews when the fk2 was introduced and reviewed. Your thoughts please?
Further to the introduction of e10 in September I have been using e5 fuel which varies from 97 to 99 Ron and quite a big difference in price over different areas in the UK. Recently for e5 99 Ron reaching an all time high of £1.49.9 per litre where I am in Wakefield West Yorkshire. So I suppose it's the old question which is the best option of fuel to use in the fk2 97 Ron and priced lower than 99 Ron fuel or use super unleaded 99 Ron at a higher price?Am I wasting money on 99 Ron ?or go for 97 ron The more members reply will give a better collective answer. Regards Fred.

Last edited:
You can use E10 in your car FK2 or FK8, if a car is tuned and mapped that’s when it really matters.

Online search easily shows the below:
All Honda cars with fuel injection are compatible with E10 petrol (HONDA PGM-FI).

All Honda cars that do not use fuel injection should continue to use E5.

Hi Carl, many thanks for your reply. Yes I know I can use e10 in my fk2 but I also know that e10 is hygroscopic and attracts moisture (water) so not good for the fuel tank?in addition to this e10 having 5% more ethanol (alcohol) than e5 will give less energy so the output will be less than 306 bhp and less torque,and will require more fuel than prev e5 to a given distance. So really e10 is not really reducing the carbon footprint. I've taken the decision to not use e10 but am trying to establish which Ron is better for the k20 cl engine 97 Ron which Sainsbury's sell or shell 99 Ron.
regards Fred.

Hi Carl, many thanks for your reply. Yes I know I can use e10 in my fk2 but I also know that e10 is hygroscopic and attracts moisture (water) so not good for the fuel tank?in addition to this e10 having 5% more ethanol (alcohol) than e5 will give less energy so the output will be less than 306 bhp and less torque,and will require more fuel than prev e5 to a given distance. So really e10 is not really reducing the carbon footprint. I've taken the decision to not use e10 but am trying to establish which Ron is better for the k20 cl engine 97 Ron which Sainsbury's sell or shell 99 Ron.
regards Fred.

Generally the mapping will define the best ron

e.g JDM imports are from factory mapped for higher Ron and so it’s recommended unless you get it mapped for lower Ron, never happens as once modded it’s generally mapped on higherRon for higher Ron.

UK cars aregenerally mapped for 95 Ron (unless high performance) and I don’t mean a Honda in this case, it will say in theowners manual or the fuel filler flap normally the recommended Ron, but most run high Ron whereas I’m certain these are fine with 95 Ron as this is what they are mapped for from factory and always will be as they are made for our general market

Prev post about similar:

I'm not an expert, but If you use E10 fuel won't the cars standard torque table mapping just adjust parameters to retain 306bhp (bit more boost).

In the 4 years I had my fk2 I only ran 99 Ron fuel and continue to do so In my fk8. For overall cost difference why use anything else imo.

Last edited:
Hi marc4242, initially I was involved in the thread re the intro of E10 and was not sure myself , but a few months on I did establish that you can use E10 as it is rated at 95 Ron. The fk2 handbook clearly states that the k20cl engine in the 2015/16 fk2 is tuned to run on 95 Ron or higher.
I did confirm this with Honda UK and was told yes you can use E10.
in addition in the thread a few year's ago we went on to discuss that E10 is made up of 90%petrol and 10% ethanol which is alcohol and that alcohol gives less energy than petrol so E10 gives you less miles than e5.E5 used to be the standard Unleaded petrol which is a mixture of petrol 95% and ethanol 5% ,which was when E10 was introduced and subsequently regraded and called super unleaded. As it was only available with 97 or 99 Ron. To me with e5 with only having 5%ethanol will be giving more energy so you will get better performance than E10 and possibly slightly more mpg. I tried 99 Ron in my fk2 and got a few more mpg. But I thought was pricey for the diff in mpg so I opted for 97ron. Which ensured I got at least the same performance and mpg and struck a balance on price and Ron.
The thing is that you can run a car on a higher Ron value than it's designed to run on and it won't do any damage to the engine
But you can't run it on a lower Ron value of fuel as this will cause damage to the engine.
if you want to confirm for yourself regarding E10 for the fk2 just ring Honda UK. Customer service and they will confirm regarding E10 compatibility.
I hope this answers your question and the explanation of the differences between e5 and E10 explains the benefit of sticking with e5 97 or 99 Ron.
Regards Fred.

Back