• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 FK2 spare wheel

I pick up my new Civic on Tuesday and want to sort out a get me home spare wheel. I don't like the tyre fix goo that comes with the car as it effectively writes off the tyre itself by using it. Most tyre places wont repair a tyre thats been subjected to repair goo.
Talking with the dealer the CTR has a unique stud PCD in the current range so a stock steely from another honda is out too.
Ok so I could buy another alloy and shod it, but that'll be the best part of £500 gone. I have also found a company that will supply you with a custom made steel rim. You just tell them the stud PCD, hub hole diameter and offset required for a fraction of the cost.
Ok so a steely would be rear fitment only (you'd bugger the LSD otherwise) and you'd have to drive accordingly, but this seems the most cost effective route.

Just wondered if any current owners have done anything ref a spare wheel.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

Congrats, I bet you can't wait!

Indeed. PCD 5x120, CB 64.1, offset ET60.

Spare would likely not clear the front caliper either to be fair.

I'll stick with the goo. In the event that I have to use it, I'll just buy a new tyre (or pair of tyres) that I would have done anyway.

For the price if a steelie and tyre, you could have paid for the replacement tyre already.

If the goo doesn't work, AA lift home and a new tyre anyway as it won't be repairable in that instance.

Just a little update on this really, So quite a bit of internet research lead me to find out that the Honda Legend from 2004 to 2012 also used 5x120 PCD and 64.1mm centre bore. With this in mind I managed to find a space saver (unused) at a Honda dismantlers and strook a deal at £75 for the wheel delivered.
It was a bit of a punt as the dismantlers would not tell me the wheel size or tyre size despite numerous e-mails. (The joy of ebay sellers)

Once I got it, it turned out to be a 17" rim so there'll be no issue clearing the rear caliper, and comparing the 2 tyre sizes online, unbelievably they have the same rolling circumference within 5mm of each other.
Both are fitted on the same M14x1.5 studs, the only difference being the Legend alloy uses flat face nuts and the original wheel cone nuts. the wheel itself has a load rating on 860kg so is more that adequate for the FK2.

So as it stands it's been £75 for the wheel and tyre, £12 for a Sealey 1.5 ton scissor jack from Eurocarparts and £12 for a set of the correct wheel nuts.

Ok so that's almost 100 sheets, however in the event of a puncture I'll be back on the move again in 15 minutes (be it at 50 mph), no tyre goo to mess with or 1 hour wait for the AA bloke in the transit to tell me he cannot fix it and another 1 hour wait for the recovery truck.

Pics show the type of wheel nuts required for the legend wheel, and it tried for size on my FK2 (with the incorrect nuts as new ones are on order). Dispite it being the same physical diameter as the original wheel, it does look a little smaller in the photos as I kept it on the jack with it not having the correct type of wheelnuts yet.

Required nuts for Legend wheel

$_57.JPG

Caliper clearance about 1"
25842878631_5fc30e9e8a_b.jpg

Centre bore exact fit
25309057593_ba63d6f99d_b.jpg

Still looks incredibly gay, but at least will see me home!
25309196843_56209b7bef_b.jpg

All the best,

Mark.

Good work Mark!

Oh and yours looks about as dirty as mine! :lol:

Back