• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 FK2 Tyres

If there is another thread about this somewhere please feel free to point me towards it and delete this one.

So having bought a Demo car with 2k miles on it the tyres had been spanked by the time I bought it. I tried my best to get the dealer to put some new tyres on before I bought but he wasn't having it.

I've now put another 1500 miles on them and need new ones soon. Should I try something different? I'm in the mindset of sticking to what's already on the car and go for Conti SC6 again but has anyone tried something different/better? Eagle F1s?

Thanks.

Really wouldn't want Eagle F1's on a car like the FK2, they'd make it feel willowy.

More than likely you are on about the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3s? Feedback from the 3 or so people that have fitted them so far is that they are about the same as the Contis in terms of feeling the bumps and breakaway feeling, they are quieter than the Contis and have noticeably more grip in the dry and vastly more grip in the wet.

I'm always a bit sceptical of before and after experiences, because you are going form a worn tyre to a new one, so they are bound to feel like they have more grip.

CSC6, MPSS and EF1A3 are all of the same ilk. Ultra High Performance tyres.

Personally, I think I'll be getting a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 245/35 R19 when the Continentals are shot...

Supersports are a great Tyre, John. I'm dismissing the 3's because I felt the 2's were not very good on my Evo yet everyone still raves about them. I wonder if these people understand tyre feel or have tried something a lot better such as AD08R back to back.

Pilot Sport 4 have got some decent reviews and Des really likes them on his Evo V.

Trouble with AD08s is they last about 5 minutes and are absolutely useless in the wet, which is 90% of the time in the UK. AS2's are a decent all rounder, when compared with bridgestone potenzas I felt they outperformed them everywhere. AS2 is a good performance road tyre, AD08 is pretty much a road legal track tyre.

I've not tried the AS3 yet but I've heard good things from friends who have... who are both in EP3s.

Heard good things about the contis too but yet to try them for myself.

Personally, I think I'll be getting a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 245/35 R19 when the Continentals are shot...

:O I looked at the Pilot SS but £20 extra per tyre put me off slightly. I know that seems silly when I'm looking at paying £130 (ish) per tyre anyway but I'm not planning on doing any track work in the car yet so for the road I don't see the point. My mate has a Focus ST and raves about the F1s (I think he uses Asymmetric 2s). I think I'll try the Continentals again for now. I just hope I can get more than 4k miles out of the next set.

They're not even a semi slick, so not sure how they can be categorised as an almost road legal track tyre? I agree there's much better in the wet. However F1A2's made my Evo feel awful, the steering was less sharp and it felt like I was driving on jelly. The Pilot Sports 3's that are on it now are much, much better so I expect the 4's be be better yet. The Super Sports are meant to be in another league, shame that there's limited 17" choice though. Sure they are £20 a corner more expensive however people have been getting massive mileages out of them, over 12,000 seems the norm.

Looks like I need to do some reading on the Pilot SS. If that's true I will have to consider it. Thanks.

F1A2 are great in their price range but I feel that's the next best place to spend money on handling.
Much better than Hankook v12 evo nonsense
much better than Bridgestone Potenza RE040s
much better than Avon zz3 & zz5
better in dry than the rainsports

I will be trying the pilot sports next, worth the extra spend I think from what I have read.

You can get the tyre insurance from the dealer too by the way

The Michelin Pilot Sport Range is a bit of a mis-noma.

Pilot Super Sports are the UHP tyre and were a replacement for the Pilot Sport 2s.

Pilot Sport 3s came in as a replacement for the Pilot Exalto, so aren't really the UHP tyre they sound like they should be.

Pilot Sport 4s are a replacement for the 3s but a bit more improved, and sit under the Pilot Super Sports as far as I can tell. Sizing is currently a problem for the FK2 as they only have one 19" and it is the wrong size.

Some info here: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-4-Press-Release.htm

I've heared the AD08 245's Works really well on the FK2, at least for the track. I will try mine out in a few weeks with these.

It also looks much better, no stretch as with the OEM tires. And lasts longer. I went on 7-8 trackday events (including some timeattack competition) on AD08R's with my previous S2000. Cant see that they've been used (And yes, I was'nt sundaydriving on the track).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
F1A2 are great in their price range but I feel that's the next best place to spend money on handling.
Much better than Hankook v12 evo nonsense
much better than Bridgestone Potenza RE040s
much better than Avon zz3 & zz5
better in dry than the rainsports

I will be trying the pilot sports next, worth the extra spend I think from what I have read.

You can get the tyre insurance from the dealer too by the way
Hi,
If anyone would like a quotation for tyre insurance then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

I can vouch for the Michelin super sports. Had a set on my mk2 focus RS and the grip and wear is phenomenal. Think they'll be my next tyre as i'm not a fan of continental.

Just ordered Michelin Pilot SS. £326 fitted was best price I could get. Many of the local guys can't get the tyres at all from their dealers and kwik fit are a rip off but also can't get them. Black Circles was my best option.

Done over a thousand miles on the Pilot SS now and I can 100% recommend them. They will not let go of the road once warm. On a wet day I managed to scare myself by getting the rear end out by accident (still Continentals on the back). The Pilot SS also doesn't look as stretched as the Continentals. Haven't really been paying attention to the wear but once I get through the set I'll try and remember to post. Was at 3500 miles when they went on.

Done over a thousand miles on the Pilot SS now and I can 100% recommend them. They will not let go of the road once warm. On a wet day I managed to scare myself by getting the rear end out by accident (still Continentals on the back). The Pilot SS also doesn't look as stretched as the Continentals. Haven't really been paying attention to the wear but once I get through the set I'll try and remember to post. Was at 3500 miles when they went on.

Have you got any pictures of how they look please? I'm going to get PSS to replace the Continentals shortly, but I was going to get them in 245/35R19.

I've heared the AD08 245's Works really well on the FK2, at least for the track. I will try mine out in a few weeks with these.

It also looks much better, no stretch as with the OEM tires. And lasts longer. I went on 7-8 trackday events (including some timeattack competition) on AD08R's with my previous S2000. Cant see that they've been used (And yes, I was'nt sundaydriving on the track).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Now i've tried them on the track. Works well, wears well. Probably will last long. A bit more slippery than the contis when cold though.

Have you got any pictures of how they look please? I'm going to get PSS to replace the Continentals shortly, but I was going to get them in 245/35R19.

Sorry Loxy only just seen this. Have you had yours done yet? I can get a pic by tonight.

Back