• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 FK2 Wheel Spacers

Hi,

I've just sold my VW Golf R MK7 and bought myself an FK2 Type R, Collecting it on Friday from Westgate Honda. I'm planning on fitting some Eibach lowering springs on Saturday and was wondering are any of you guys running wheel spacers with the OEM wheels?

I was thinking on ordering 20mm rears - 15mm fronts or maybe 15mm is enough all round?

Any Advice?

Stephen

I've gone for 20mm on the rears only, after I put them on I was thinking I could of gone for 18mm as I couldn't help thinking they sit a bit proud and kept catching my eye as I walked passed the car.
I think this was due to the fact that the car looks totally different and I wasn't used to it, now I don't notice them and remember how bad the rear looked before, overall very happy with the new look.
I'm sure there's mentions on Facebook if you get smaller than 20mm, work is required so the spacer bolts don't touch the wheel.

I have 18mm all round and didn't need to do any work, but I'm sure I've heard something rub somewhere over a couple of bumps and around a fast corner so need to check it all over to see

Any pics gents? I really dont want any rubbing especially as im fitting Eibach lowering springs this saturday!
Maybe 15mm all round is enough?

0NgiWKk_d.jpg

before

hQUmOEo_d.jpg

after

18-20mm per side seems like a lot to me, surely that'd adversely affect scrub radius and akkerman angles? Do you not get any increase in torque and bump steer as a result of fitting these?

steering is a little heavier but not noticed any other adverse effects yet, ideally I would have gone 12mm front 15mm back but got these at a good price and didn't want to cut down studs.

still not decided wether to keep them or not, not sure how much extra wear they'd put on dampers

It's not the dampers so much, it's the ball joints and the wheel bearings especially that take the extra load. Presumably due to the increased leverage imparted by moving further away from the load centre.

I've done a lot of reading on this subject in an attempt to make my mini go in a straight line :lol:

no wheel mods needed but I've discovered it rubs on the rear arch, so I'm trying to decide to remove the spacers or roll them

Im running 20mm rear + 15mm front spacers with Bridgestone 235/35/19 tyres and havent heard it rub once?

I also have Dream Eibach lowering springs fitted :lol:

I would not recommend fitting lowering springs or spacers... High speed stability will be pretty much ruined as scrub radius and akkerman angle will change, as I learned from my experience.
I changed wheels from ET 60 to 45 and wheel width from 8,5 to 8.

This is very interesting,i was set of getting spacers but reading this has made me question my decision although the vote seems split evenly it would seem theres no definitive problem free answer...apart from new alloys obviously

Back