• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Flywheel advice wanted

Ill be puting in a new clutch next month or so and wanted to know if anyone's fitted a ultra light weight flywheel ? What are they like to drive with ? Good or bad brands??
I'll be useing a new standard clutch on this car. ... For now anyways.

I fitted a Clockwise Motion one in my FN2. It's about 1.5kg lighter than OEM IIRC.

Drove fine with it in. Not hard to set off or anything like that. Engine breaking and engine response was vastly improved though. The engine would spin up much quicker and felt much more alive if that makes sense?

I had a TRD light flywheel in my AE86, was a huge improvement IMO, revved more freely.

Didn't change the flywheel on any of my Hondas, had I needed a new clutch then I'd have definitely done it & a few other mods while the gearbox was off.

I'll perhaps put some pictures up when I get round to doing it. Sound worth doing :) .
But 1st I've got to for me front arms and arb bushes and order a vibe tec mount as I've split my drives side mount.
Thought I'd try and get some feed back on brands while I have time :)

TRD or ACT are good imo, might be worth upgrading the clutch now to save yourself another big labour charge later on, if you can afford it of course.

What are the final weights of those ? ,
will attempt to change myself with help from my brother , we changed the one on his evo so I think we could do this one ( I hope )

i drive another civic yesterday and the clutch was amazing !!! Real soft clicked into every gear(standard fly and clutch) and mine is stiff as assholes real crap .

You won't find a TRD one for a K20 as that stands for Toyota Racing Developments. Exedy/FIdanza are good, Clockwise is the best and one of the lightest.

XTD clutch stage 3 paddle and lightened flywheel £230 used for standard and modded cars seem good to me.

Does anyone have any opinions on the 'fidanza lightweight flywheel (3.6KG)'? I am running stock power.

I am due a clutch change in the next month or two (to 'exedy OEM') and thought this may be a worthwhile mod while the car is being worked on.

Does anyone have any opinions on the 'fidanza lightweight flywheel (3.6KG)'? I am running stock power.

I am due a clutch change in the next month or two (to 'exedy OEM') and thought this may be a worthwhile mod while the car is being worked on.

Definitely a worthwhile mod while its all apart, it will also be better for the new clutch as it will have a fresh surface to mate to.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply tegiwa.

Any one else have any opinions? I would like to hear from someone that won't be making money from this decision before I choose if I take the plunge TBH ;).

The Fidanza may be a little too light for a stock road car, take some getting use to but youl feel a huge difference. might be worth going for one around the 5kg mark a little easier to cope with on the roads IMO.

Hi D4N H,

I've got a DC5 and I believe the flywheel is the same weight is around 4.65kg which is the same as +04 EP3's.

The Fidanza lighted flywheel as mentioned maybe too light and also I don't think its a single piece disc? I'm personally going for the Competition Clutch lightened flywheel which is around 3.9kg. I didn't want to go too light.

Hope this helps.

Gar

Seriously, sub 4kg is what you should be going for - like I said the Fidanza is perfect, so is the RPC (if you want to stay 1-piece). It does take a little getting used to, but by the time you have driven off your drive, and turned at the end of the road you'll be used to it.

Quite a lot of people are going sub 3kg now even on road cars, I personally wouldn't go that low, but Matt in our office did in his K-swapped DC2, it was fine.

I'm pretty sure the ClockWise Motion one I had was sub 3.5kg and that was perfect in a road car.

Back