• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Flywheel and Ring gear problems

:) he is very good indeed... He did my head gasket two years ago and no problems till this week :) thank you for making me smile.

I just needed peace of mind. Hopefully the motor comes back to me today. So basically its not always necessary to change the timing chain and tensioner if there is still a lot of teeth left on the tensioner to hold the tension.

nope, not necessary at all. if the ratchet part of the tensioner is weak then i would take it easy on start up until oil pressure has built up which should take a microsecond ;).

4747215718_55b3bf7ce4_b.jpg

enjoy your R when it's all working. it seems as if you have had quite a few problems with this CTR.

Ahh it all makes sense now. So if any chance of jumping occurs it will be at start up IF at all it does decide to do so. But he does not believe this will happen with all the remaining teeth left. I take it he's going to adjust the tensioner slightly to reduce the preload?

just to update you all. Got the car back, timing was reset and tensioner was set. Chain is good and so is the tensioner and its running like a dream! However, the bloody flywheel looks to be the next problem. The welding seems to have taken it a little off balance as I notice the car vibrating a little when its on an incline and also feels a little weird when I clutch and change gear. Its hard to explain. Feels like its rumbling.

it does spin pretty quickly and will vibrate if slightly unbalanced, probably best to get a replacement.

good that it's all running now :)

Great news, i would replace flywheel as griffin says and maybe clutch at same time ?

clutch is a good idea to save on labour, for next time.

i would try and stay in low revs until it's fixed.

to change the flywheel, my mechanic done my clutch for £200, 4 hours work.

once the clutch is removed the fly wheel unbolts and can be changed for little cost when having a clutch fitted.

Ok well I defo need the flywheel.. it seems ok when the road is flat its just when its on an incline the vibrations are noticeable. Are you based in London?

Back