• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Flywheel and Ring gear problems

no im about 40 miles from london :)

do some testing mate, hold the revs at intervals of revs and check for vibrations, how big were the welds?

ok here's the deal. When I drive on flat incline or decline the car is sound. No vibrations. The clutching feels a little off as if the is a slight rumble and other people may or may not notice it but I'm a little paranoid over things so I asked a passenger and he felt it too. Now when I was parking up I parked with the front two wheels slighly declined on a hill and thats when the engine started shaking. Keeping the revs up causes this shaking to dissapear. Through the revs there is no vibrations, but sometimes when I take the foot off the accelerator and let the car coast it feels slightly rumbly, if this makes sense.

also, spot welding was done only on one spot spaces apart from each other. So it looks like a dot slightly smaller than a 5p coin. Would this be enough to cause it to go that much off balance?

Agree the welds will put the flywheel off balance but it should be noticeable throughout the rev range rather that on an incline/decline.

I'm going to do some investigation :)

Ok mate I have grouped together the mechanical brains and it may be worth getting the tissues out because there is some crying to be done.

The symptoms described point to a bent valve caused by the chain skipping teeth throwing up a rumble under load which is a type of misfire.

An unbalanced flywheel should be noticable as soon as the engine is running and throughout the rev range.

A pressure test or compression test is in order.

Sorry mate :(

OH NO!! EVEN 2 teeth??? I bent valves? Well ok.... car pulls like a train... i've not taken it to vtec cos im scared... but it pulls great... The rumbling sound is not noticeable whilst im driving it only when i've let go of the accelerator and its ever so slight, mechanic checked my valves and told me you missed it and its ok.... the rumble gets noticed when I am clutching which to me suggests my clutch hitting an unbalanced flywheel. The car shaking was when I put my front two wheels on a decline as I was parking and it was as thought something was loose..

I've not read this whole thread but from this page 5... I can tell you that a spot weld added to a fly wheel WILL be enough to put it out of balance.

The reason I say this is because I have witnessed my own flywheel (for my mini) getting balanced, and they remove a very small amount of material at a time.

Whilst I can see where Griff is coming from saying you should feel it throughout the rev range, this is true but there will be a resinant frequency where it is at its greatest and smallest levels of vibration - being a small amount of material it is more likely to have a small window of resinant frequency. Your flywheel spins at all times with the crank - it holds the inertia of the engine.

If they were clear then it's probably not that then, phew.

Are you sure the rumbling isn't coming from the gearbox?, mine rumbles when decelerating mainly in second but as you say it's a very slight rumble, From your previous post I thought the sound was loud.

With mine I can sit in neutral and bring the revs up and the rumbling can be heard slightly if I depress the clutch then silence.

The car shaking when parking? Is this like the engine almost stalled? Could be a weak engine mount.

It seems as if the flywheel has kept it's balance with the welding, good stuff.

A lot of testing is now in order until you feel confident to use higher revs :)

well its at its most vibration probably on idle.... As i speed up the vibration goes away... Also, when I come off the accelarator theres a rumble... its not loud at all and many people would probably not notice it. It's just I know my car and it sounds off. The vibrations is at its worst when I have parked it on an incline/or decline.... surely if it was a bent valve it would run like crap. The fact the car is responsive would negate this correct? I am not getting any popping sound from the exhaust neither.

Defo not an engine mount..... changed mine 20k miles ago... Fine before all of this mess. Also, it does not feel like its going to stall at all. It just feels like something is off balance. I do feel the resonance though specially when I take my foot off the gas whilst coming to a halt.

If you'd dropped a valve you'd know about it.

Biggest vibration should be at idle if its slightly out of balance as its giving the biggest amplitude and lowest frequency.

Imagine if you will... a rear bike wheel with a dodgy worn out hub. Wheel in up air.... As you apply a force through the pedals and drive the wheel it will run something like true, the moment you let off and let it freewheel it'll start going all over the place. It's would be a similar effect with your flywheel when you clutch disengages (you press the clutch pedal).

right its not terrible..... its just noticeable. I take it its time to change flywheel. What will I be damaging if I keep driving it like this?

Well to be honest I'm not very familiar with the k20, but if it was my mini I'd be getting it sorted ASAP. It wouldn't be doing the crank taper or the main shells any good. - Again, that is not k20 advice.

Anyone know where I can get this done cheaply in the north london area? Also, is getting a used flywheel a bad idea? Honda books say 480 something for a facelift flywheel!

pretty sure after market lightweight flywheels aren't that expensive mate, shouldn't be any issues with a 2nd hand flywheel unless someone has done a botch job of making it lighter - not something I'd expect to see in Hondas but there are some retarded people out there...

They come up for sale on here once in a blue moon.

Back