• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Flywheel and Ring gear problems

depending on how far you want to travel my mechanic is quite cheap but he's in markyate.

Got a fidanza one off eBay for 20 quid more. Just need to fit it. I don't even know where that is! Lol

Change your clutch (if you havn't already) whilst doing your flywheel if you have over 60k on the clock. Will save you some dough in the future if you plan to keep the car.

I changed my clutch 25k miles ago so I didn't think it was necessary plus it means spending more. Wat you reckon clutch still young for a lightened flywheels?

my clutch lasted 70k so you should have 45k to go. personally after the money you have already spent i would keep the old clutch and have the flywheel replaced.

I could be being pedantic here, but if your flywheel was badly out of balance, your clutch plate will be un-evenly worn which will in turn wear your new flywheel unevenly.

It's like getting new discs, you wouldn't run them on your old pads.

it's only been out of balance for a few days, i shouldn't think there would be enough uneven wear to warrant a new clutch :)

Yup at the most I would have driven it 10 miles if that I hope it wouldnt have done my clutch! Also I'm nervous so 2.5k rpm max!

Ok flywheel finally installed. And everything is perfect no more vibrations and rumbling noises! Only thing was when trying to take the driveshaft off I couldn't get the ball joint off the driverside so I had to take the two bolts above it to free it. Would this take my wheel alignment off as it seems ky tracking has gone a bit

Good news, glad it's finally sorted!

It may have done slightly, but should settle back after 10-20 miles. If it doesn't then take it for alignment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back