• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 FN2 2nd Gear

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick enquiry. I'm sure I have read on here before that there were recalls on early FN2's because of an issue with 2nd gear?
Does anyone know what the issue/symptoms were?
I'm having issues changing up into 2nd when doing anything more aggressive than the usual tootling along.
Likewise when changing down...

Thanks in advance for the help!

Sean

The issue's with the FN2 are for 3rd gear. Loxy had his done under warranty.

Cheers!

hmmm not sure what the issue with mine is then. Its going back in on Friday for its 4th clutch master cylinder. It was only replaced 4 weeks ago.
Its also getting its 3rd set of brakes, its only got 30k on the clock.
Then I think there is a slow puncture or an issue with the alloy on the front offside...

Really am hating this car at the moment...

Cheers!

hmmm not sure what the issue with mine is then. Its going back in on Friday for its 4th clutch master cylinder. It was only replaced 4 weeks ago.
Its also getting its 3rd set of brakes, its only got 30k on the clock.
Then I think there is a slow puncture or an issue with the alloy on the front offside...

Really am hating this car at the moment...

Sounds to me its the way you drive it. Brakes, clutch, gears....... If I were a Honda dealer i'd be suspicious....

Brakes were my fault...I cooked them on the autobahn on Saturday.
Gear/clutch issues, not so sure. I dont snap the changes or anything like that. I would say that I dont always have the clutch down on the floor all the time when changing, but not sure this is too much of an issue?
I do downshift to slow the car rather than braking in certain situations...

Issue on third was it felt like a two stage selection, it went in third but then would move in a bit further.

If it didn't go in properly it used to pop out of gear.

Issue on third was it felt like a two stage selection, it went in third but then would move in a bit further.

If it didn't go in properly it used to pop out of gear.

It either wont go in at all, with eyewatering crunching noises. Or, it goes in, you give it the beans and it spits is straight out!

Sounds a bit like the old problems on the EP3.
Could it be the same as it's the same box/engine combo on the FN Sean?

Sounds a bit like the old problems on the EP3.
Could it be the same as it's the same box/engine combo on the FN Sean?

Dunno my old...
Its going in tomorrow afto, so I'll let you know what they find. Its in there every 3 months of late, I might ask for my own private parking space!
Its booked in for a front end respray in July, thats €950 + **** tax!

Just to update on the outcome of the Honda visit...

Clutch master cylinder knackered + clutch pedal assembly equally knackered. This is why I am having trouble getting a clean 2nd gear selection...apparently. Warranty job!

Front brake discs in good order and 8-9mm left on the pads. So no issue there. What I thought to be buggered discs was an issue with poorly balanced tyres. Oh, and the tyre valve on front offside was loose, so not a slow puncture afterall!
The rear discs are in good order, however the pads are down to less than 2mm! I really dont understand this...they are 12 months old, and as far I was aware they are only for the handbrake and VSA. So something not right there.
Rear offside is actually binding against the disc, and wont free-wheel as well as the nearside.
Does anyone know if the rears are actually used when applying the brakes and what the front to rear ratio is? 80/20?

They checked the brake fluid, and that was fried. They have a little pen shaped contraption they dip in the fluid, and it indicates the condition of the fluid. Dont have any experience of what this means in terms of brake feel/performance...combined with the shot rear pads, I'm guessing spongey!

Oh and something to look out for in the hot weather as a reminder kids. The other day I put 32psi in the fronts and 30 in the rears which is a little below recommended. After the test drive at Honda - about 30 mins of motorway bashing in 24deg air temp - the fronts registered 39/40 and the rears 36, which is a good bit over recommended, so keep an eye on your pressures in warm weather!

Over and out!

Of the rear brakes are used to slow the car! :lol:

Oh and something to look out for in the hot weather as a reminder kids. The other day I put 32psi in the fronts and 30 in the rears which is a little below recommended. After the test drive at Honda - about 30 mins of motorway bashing in 24deg air temp - the fronts registered 39/40 and the rears 36, which is a good bit over recommended, so keep an eye on your pressures in warm weather!

You're supposed to set the tyre pressure when they're cold, which is going to be atleast several hours after driving, so checking them after driving on the motorway is going to show a higher reading. The tyres get hot when the car is moving so the air inside expands. :roll:

Of the rear brakes are used to slow the car! :lol:

Epic noob FAIL...in my defence...ah screw it, I have no defence. :rolleyes:

I know that gases expand at temp, but I wasnt expecting the reading to be quite so high.
Bit worried about autobahning with tyres pushing 40psi!

Epic noob FAIL...in my defence...ah screw it, I have no defence. :rolleyes:

I know that gases expand at temp, but I wasnt expecting the reading to be quite so high.
Bit worried about autobahning with tyres pushing 40psi!

The standard pressure for the standard 18's are Front 35psi Rear 32psi, they're are rated upto 168mph, I doubt Bridgestone would have forgot to take into account the increase in temp/pressure at these speeds.

Regarding the tyre pressures, you will be fine.

I've got an EP3 I use on track and set the pressures for 28psi all round and when I come back after a 20 min sprint on track there normally registering about 40-42psi. This is perfectly safe and acceptable and tyre manufactors take this into account.

Back