• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Civic Type R Clutch noise

Hi guys,

There have been various reports on the forums about the FN2 Type R clutch groaning from cold. Mine has done this for about 9 months and I'm waiting for the fix from Honda.

However, now when the car is warm after a relatively short journey, it makes a whining noise with low down revving.

Video here [video=youtube;SfWZpwe_xs4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfWZpwe_xs4[/video]

I'm not even on the clutch pedal just blipping and holding the throttle open at about 2000rpm, although it's apparent at speeds slightly above and below this.
Am i to take it the 2 problems are related? Could it be the release bearing or pressure plate?

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
could be, or could just be one of your pulley's, belt tensioner etc..spray them with wd40 with the engine running and see if the noise changes/goes away

My FD2 sometimes makes a squeal when pulling away from cold. But fine once warm.

Apparently there's no way to stop it, its from how it was driven from new (which is a bit worrying)

Hi guys,

There have been various reports on the forums about the FN2 Type R clutch groaning from cold. Mine has done this for about 9 months and I'm waiting for the fix from Honda.

However, now when the car is warm after a relatively short journey, it makes a whining noise with low down revving.

Video here [video=youtube;SfWZpwe_xs4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfWZpwe_xs4[/video]

I'm not even on the clutch pedal just blipping and holding the throttle open at about 2000rpm, although it's apparent at speeds slightly above and below this.
Am i to take it the 2 problems are related? Could it be the release bearing or pressure plate?

What do you think?

Does the noise in the video go away when you put the clutch in and blip the throttle?

If it does I'd say it is clutch related, if not, as newannaive said could be a belt.

Hi all,

No, if you dip the clutch the noise remains.

I'll spray what pulleys/tensioners I can see, and let you know. :)

I've got to ring Honda U.K tomorrow to find out the latest with the fix for the cold clutch groan. :(

It just sounds clutch related to me, like the thrust/release bearing............. the starting of it. Presumably if this were the case the noise would get progressively louder?
I'm hoping it just a pulley and the noise disappears when I give them a spray with WD40.

Sprayed pulley and tensioners with WD40 at my dads, then drove the 13 miles home.............to find the damn squealing still there :(

I'll have to drop my local dealer a line in the morning.............in the hope they can sort it!

Updated

Took the car to dealers yesterday.

Short of it is mechanic (who i've seen before, and really knows his stuff) had a look and listen in the workshop when warm along with the video that i showed him and he said almost certain it was the thrust bearing. He even had me in the workshop blipping the throttle whilst he was under the bonnet as at first he couldn't replicate the noise! :)

I also told him various reports i'd read here and on a few other Type R Forums regarding the clutch noise and he said there was a known fault with the thrust bearing on the diesel variant (something to do with the dual mass flywheel) but hadn't heard of a problem on the R.
Went through the service database and eventually came across the note that i believe has been posted here previously from Honda directly saying there is a known issue and not to tamper/replace any parts until they have advised otherwise.

Parts are being tested for a fix so hopefully, HOPEFULLY we should know soon. My details have been added in the diary for the 26th of every month for them to contact me if there is any update, presumably so they cannot forget i've been in! :) Obviously if there is a release or news before then i'll get a call.

Actually, i recieved brilliant service yesterday..........so i'd like to thank the chaps that dealt with my query at Invicta Honda in Tunbridge Wells. First class. :party:

The groaning has been around since day 1 of the EP3, my '03 EP3 had it from new and still had it at 45k miles when I sold it, my FN2 has it. It's a none issue, just a 2 second noise on cooler days.

There is no known fix and imo there never will be as it's not a fault as such, just a characteristic.

The groaning has been around since day 1 of the EP3, my '03 EP3 had it from new and still had it at 45k miles when I sold it, my FN2 has it. It's a none issue, just a 2 second noise on cooler days.

There is no known fix and imo there never will be as it's not a fault as such, just a characteristic.

For the last month or so, when the engine has warmed up and you blip the throttle between tickover and 2000rpm there is a distinct thrust bearing whine. It does it after each and every journey now.

Went to look at new houses the other day and whilst crawing through a housing estate in a low gear at low rpm the noise was so prominent. It cannot be an accepted thing amongst owners surely? Its driving me crackers.....and really can be quite embarassing!! :(

I had a new stage 3 clutch and flywheel fitted when I had the LSD done.

Not had the noise since, but mine did it worse in winter. Will have to see how it goes.

What make of clutch kit was that if you don't mind me asking, and where did you get it?

I'm thinking it may be better to buy a better uprated kit, and get Honda to fit it instead of the standard OEM one.

What make of clutch kit was that if you don't mind me asking, and where did you get it?

I'm thinking it may be better to buy a better uprated kit, and get Honda to fit it instead of the standard OEM one.

F1 Racing Copper Ceramic 6 puck stage 3 clutch.

Those Tegiwa folks sell them.

The bite point on it is a lot smaller though so takes some getting used to.

If you have a bit more cash to splash go for an Exedy or a Competition Clutches, but nothing wrong with the F1 so far.

Sorry to bring back one of my old thread's but i just haven't been able to get to the bottom of this problem and it's been going on for over a year.

Customer Service at my local dealer and Honda U.K has been nothing short of appaling over this problem. I know it isn't the cold clutch groan from cold, and i know it isn't a problem with the clutch as that was replaced, but i'm stumped as to what it can be.

Someone else on Youtube has posted a video of their car with exactly the same noise and they don't know what's causing it either. I'm honestly at my wits end!!!! :(

I would hazard a guess it being something around the auxillary belt as N&N said. The belt is on that side of the engine. Either the belt, a pulley bearing, the auto tensioner or one of the auxillaries like alternator, water pump or A/C pump.

Hi Loxy,

Yeah that's what i thought. Car has been into dealer more times that i have fingers. The upshot is, they replaced a pulley which they claim was noisey and although all quiet, a week later the noise came back. They've had the belt off, lubricated the pulleys, presumably tested each one yet still the noise remains.
The squeel has never been apparent when cold, or on a morning start, but lately it's vocal then too, although not as bad. What do you suggest?

The fact the noise did go, all be it for a short time must indicate the problem is belt/pulley related surely....?

It might just have taken time for the belt to settle how it was after being put back on and so it's started again.

I'd try taking it to an independent garage if you aren't wanting to have a fettle yourself and see what they say.

TGM in Fleet, TDi in Thurrock and ARTech in Guildford are people who are rated and who are reasonably close to you.

Thanks for that buddy, extremely appreciated. I'll give TGM a call first as going to Bouremouth on Monday so will be passing Fleet.... :)

Fingers crossed it is something really simple that a fresh pair of eyes will spot. :smt023

Back