• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 first stage upgrades. First feelings and first questions

Hey guys!

It has been a while since I've done the following upgrades and now I can share my opinion on the result.

-LSD
-BC stage 2 cams
-RRC intake
-HKS Premium sucktion kit (partly installed as pipe didn't fit with RRC)
-TODA manifold
-Invidia g200 cat back
-600cc injections

After mapping with Flashpro I got not that much, 230bhp. but at significant 9200rpm. Mapping was made on Dyno Dynamic stand.

Well, I'm pretty much satisfyed with the result, but honestly I've been expecting mor hp with my odds. It is more a matter of numbers than real acceleration, I guess:) What do you guys think about the result?

Loxy, if you are reading the thread occasionally, congrats with FD2 and welcome back:) I assume your FN2 had nearly similar odds. What your advice can be with my car? Changing oil pump? Something else? And what what the TDi cams can be compared with in terms of effeciansy, how do you think?

Thanks for your opinions

P.S. attached is not final version of my graphic (221hp), but final one (229hp) has almost the same shape.

Attachments

• 902f64s-960.jpg
    902f64s-960.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 31
FD2 is good thanks, just needs mapping.

There are a few of things.

Your car is running far too high for the standard valve train and oil pump. You get valve float and/or spring bind on standard springs over 8,800 rpm so you need to upgrade your springs and seats. You also get oil pump cavitation over 9,000 rpm, basically the oil pump whips up the oil and creates bubbles in it which as you can expect isn't good. So yes, FD2 oil pump is good for higher revs, S2000 oil pump if you plan to keep it at 9,500 though. Those two issues are immaterial though as your car isn't making any more power over 8,800 rpm anyway, so it doesn't need to rev that high. You should set the limiter back to 8,800 in Flashpro.

The BC (Buddy Club or Brian Crower?) Stage 2 cams aren't well known to me, so I don't know about ramp rates and duration etc., but I would expect stage 2 cams to need uprated springs, possibly chain and tensioner too.

Stage 2 cams generally need very good breathing mods to get the most out of them, particularly in the high rev range. Your HKS Premium Suction Kit is a closed airbox with a HKS fitler. This won't flow as well as some other intake kits, i.e. Mugen/Tegiwa/Skunk2/HKS RSK, so will probably causing some restriction. You haven't mentioned throttle body either, so something like the Skunk2 72mm TB would help things as well. Skunk2 intake and TB would be the way I would go.

The Toda manifold is good, but I suspect the Invidia G200 cat-back is a 2.25 or 2.5 inch system. Ideally to get the gas flow out as much as possible you should be looking at a 3 inch exhaust to maximize the potential of the cams.

Finally, every dyno is different so take the final figure with a pinch of salt. You could take it to another dyno and pull 250 at the flywheel with it. However on the graph you have posted the torque figure is way way too flat. It will never be making 150ftlb all the way though, plus at the dip at crossover there is no dip on power and therefore you have two points where the torque figure crosses the power figure, which it can't, so the graph doesn't ring true.

Thanks for the reply, mate.

Unfortunately I don't have final graph, it was a bit different from the one I posted. Power goes up till 9,000rpm and therefore we set limiter at this point. Also I forgot to mention that springs and retainers kit is also installed and my cams are Brian Crower http://www.briancrower.com/makes/honda/k20ak20z.shtml

Yes, oil pump and throttle body were missed things while thinking over spec list.. Now it would be much more difficult to get this parts installed after everything has been done already, but I'll think on it. As for CAI, in Russia roads are pretty dusty, thus I don't want to have something like RSK, which is totally opened. But anyway this thing should be changed with something, that is clear.. As for G200, that upgrade is one I don't like at all. Car began to make awful noise instead of beautiful song. If I remember correctly, piping dia is 70mm or 2,8 inch. Hopefully will change this downspout on TODA cat back in future.

I also noticed that strange thing with torque on the graph.. Don't understand why does it go like this.

What do you think about Rotrex c30-94? http://www.tts-performance.co.uk/#!civic-fn2-sport/c8oo I was always against forced induction, but my config suits perfectly for track, but for daily drive over 5,000rpm to feel acceleration is not very comfortable. Below 5,000rpm the engine is dead. So I've started to think about "weakest" supercharger to get 300-350bhp which would be more or less reasonable power on front wheels.

The Rotrex set-up is the kindest on transmission as it is a progressive build up of torque. If you are against FI though I would think long and hard about it and maybe try to get a drive of one locally?

Ah, it's impossible to find someone "roterexed" on FN2. Will try accord shortly, it's going to be mapped soon. Thank you for your advises and keep in touch. Will update as soon as decision will be done)

Back