• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 fn2 general and tuning questions

Hello im looking to buy an fn2 over xmas time,i have a few questions i need answers to.Does honda red paint fade badly?

For the best handling setup on rubbish north devon roads,should i buy bilstein coilovers or eibach spring with oem shocks.i had eibach springs and FRSU on my dc5 and found the ride still to hard for our British roads,car would skip across the bumps in the road.

Will 17 inch alloys fit as i want to use my tyres i had on my dc5 Yokohama ad08?

Are poly bushes worth the cost for day to day driving?

What parts will i need to buy to get 240 bhp n/a.on a budget,apart from flashpro,inlet manifold,fd2 tb

Can i get 240+bhp using the stock internals,air intake and mainfold with cat?

Would the tegiwa mugen replica intake be a good upgrade as i want to keep things looking stock?

Thanks

The Eibach springs on the FN2 are initially softer than OEM springs until they load up when they become stiffer. This makes the car feel in normal driving a lot more pleasant than the standard car, but it still corners flat when you start pressing on. Bilstein do some decent fixed coilovers that ABP are selling. Under normal circumstances I would never recommend coilovers for a road car, but these ABP Bilsteins have been getting good reviews, though some people have had noise issues.

Yes 17s will fit, OEM size of the FN2 alloys are 18x7.5j ET55 with 225/40/18 tyres so just shop accordingly.

I highly rate the suspension polybushe kit. They dramically improve turn in response and the stability of the rear on changing direction.

The FN2 suffers when trying to achieve headline figures because the run of the manifold is compromised as the exhaust B-pipe has to pretty much run down the side of the car due to the fuel tank being positioned under the driver's seat. Torque on the other hand is seemingly un-affected. I got 237bhp with HKS RSK (£250), FD2 TB (£350), RRC inlet manifold (£350), FD oil pump conversion (balancer shaft delete kit) (£350), Tegiwa exhaust manifold (£375), Magnex cat-back remapped (£250) with Hondata Flashpro (£700 inc map). With a Mugen intake, toda exhaust and manifold, you might just be touching 240. Prices I've put on are parts only but based on second hand prices, so you are looking at the best part of £2,500 without labour.

TegiwaGraph.jpg

To get to this stage

Once I added some cams it got better. Skunk2 Stage 1s (but these need valve spring and chain tensioner upgrades, so not true DICs):

BeforeandafterSkunk2s.jpg

TDi-North Stage 1 DICs (same day vs Skunk2s):

tdi2.jpg

So as you can see, you won't get 240 without getting rid of the cat, and you'll probably just get 240 without starting swapping out cams. I've not counted the oil pump as internals, but it does help in reducing paracitic loss and therefore improving output.

The Mugen/Tegi intake is one of the best out there. If I was to change it would be to that intake, but I like the noise of the HKS too much to get rid of it and I've got it working well with a custom heatshield and the Driven Crazy Scoopin' cold air feed.

What about red paintwork fading?
Could i see around 240 bhp with those parts you listed apart from the fd2 oil pump conversion?
How much are driven scoops
Thanks for your reply

Last edited by a moderator:
The paintwork is like any car, if you look after it, and it'll be OK. That being said, I've not seen any faded FN2s yet, but they are only 5 year old at most.

I'd say not to hitting 240 without the oil pump. I got a solid 10bhp gain just on fitting the pump, but that was before the RRC, FD2 TB and exhaust manifold:

Dyno180111.jpg

I have seen cars around 235 without the oil pump, every car is different. The engine does spin up a lot quicker as well when you have the pump done, so it's definitely worth it. It's around £700 all in including labour though.

Driven Crazy Scoops are around $250 delivered unless you can find a second hand one. They would work brilliantly with the Mugen/Tegi intake if you didn't want to use their tract and lose your fog lights.

Details:
http://www.drivencrazy.com.sg/index.php/archives/39

http://www.drivencrazy.com.sg/index.php/accessories

I thought honda red paint was prone to fading.
Ive just had a quick look at your build thead amazing stuff.i think power wise i will use the flashpro first then add intake and full exhaust system.then wait until i get the inlet manifold and fd2 TB,then mapped,problem is i dont know of any honda tuners in devon.
i see the mugen civic is 110 kg lighter,i wonder how much weight can be shaved off.and keep the car family friendly.
First job will be handling and brakes
Thanks

Decent thread, good info loxy, interesting to know, In time I'd be looking to upgrade to one of these from my ep3, and was thinking about upgrading wanting around 240+ bhp, maybe by the time I get one there may be more to choose from, I think spoon now do an intake manifold and n1 catback. Wonder what these would have to offer power wise.

i think it'll be my turn to pick loxys brains soon too as i think ive convinced the misses to get one in the new year, its between a mito, st fiesta and this.

I have got ap racing 2 piece disc from my dc5,any chance they will fit the fn2.they are amazing.i would to reuse them
Spoon is good stuff i had full spoon exhaust system on my dc5 was very loud but sounded great on vtec

Last edited by a moderator:
Decent thread, good info loxy, interesting to know, In time I'd be looking to upgrade to one of these from my ep3, and was thinking about upgrading wanting around 240+ bhp, maybe by the time I get one there may be more to choose from, I think spoon now do an intake manifold and n1 catback. Wonder what these would have to offer power wise.

The Spoon exhaust is a single exit so good weight saving but fairly loud. I've only seen them on YouTube as I don't know anyone who's imported one.

The Spoon inlet manifold is a bored out OEM one. The general consensus is that the RRC is better.

i think it'll be my turn to pick loxys brains soon too as i think ive convinced the misses to get one in the new year, its between a mito, st fiesta and this.

No worries. :)

I have got ap racing 2 piece disc from my dc5,any chance they will fit the fn2.they are amazing.i would to reuse them
Spoon is good stuff i had full spoon exhaust system on my dc5 was very loud but sounded great on vtec

If you can get a different bell it may well fit. The Stoptech FN2 2 piece discs are a different size from the EP3 ones, the bell is different as the EP3 one sits further out, so I would expect this would apply with the APs coming from a DC5.

EP3 OEM discs fit on the FN2 OEM calipers though, so this might just be a quirk of the Stoptech calipers.

OEM FN2 brakes are 300mm, so if the APs are bigger you'll have to start looking at custom caliper brackets as well.

nice advice as usual loxy i have spent a 1000 quid already just getting exhaust and frsu done with money getting tight and needing to refurb my wheels. really let my car down would you suggest getting mugen intake as tdi recommened or going for remap now just wondering if intake just costs a lot of money and all it really does is just sound good

Just wondering what's wrong with the Gruppe M? Is the Mugen system better? Or is it a matter of cost.

nice advice as usual loxy i have spent a 1000 quid already just getting exhaust and frsu done with money getting tight and needing to refurb my wheels. really let my car down would you suggest getting mugen intake as tdi recommened or going for remap now just wondering if intake just costs a lot of money and all it really does is just sound good

The intake will make a big difference on a remapped car, but the map has to suit the mods so it's better to do intake before having it mapped or you'll be paying to get it done again.

The Mugen intake is one of the best out there for the FN2 as long as it has a cold air feed like the Mugen intake tract or the Driven Crazy scoop.

The Mugen intake isn't that loud though. It's louder than OEM, but still pretty subtle.

Tegiwa's intake is remarkably similar to the Mugen. Just saying...

Just wondering what's wrong with the Gruppe M? Is the Mugen system better? Or is it a matter of cost.

The GruppeM is a good intake but does get to its limit when you start doing things like cams, when it can start to be a restriction in the system.

If you can find one second hand they are worth the money, though still more expensive than the Tegiwa intake. New they are on a par in price with the Mugen.

Can i use tdi drop in cams with stock valve spring?any idea what bhp would be with just intake,full exhaust,fd2 TB and inlet manifold,mapped.
How many rear camber shims does the fd2 need on average

Tidy, thanks it's good to know for future reference. Just need to get an fn2 now and find some spare cash to do it up :lol:

Can i use tdi drop in cams with stock valve spring?any idea what bhp would be with just intake,full exhaust,fd2 TB and inlet manifold,mapped.
How many rear camber shims does the fd2 need on average

You should get over 240 but probably closer to 250 with those mods on an FN2. It would depend on which intake, exhaust etc.

Yes, no valve train upgrades needed. "Drop in cams"

FD2 needs adjustable camber arms. FN2 usually needs one shim per side, but every car is different and it depends on where the camber and toe is to start with.

Tidy, thanks it's good to know for future reference. Just need to get an fn2 now and find some spare cash to do it up :lol:

:smt023

Back