• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fn2 induction kit advice

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and a new proud owner of a Fn2 type R, I've owned a
eg6 vti before and I know tunning is limited on Hondas as far as big power gains with out forced induction. Can any one offer me some advice on induction kits what's the best performer bhp wise? Car is standard at the moment.

You're not going to get a lot out of an induction kit unmapped but it's a start.

Tegiwa's Mugen copy (or the Mugen if you're feeling flush) and the HKS Racing Suction Kit are probably the best two if you're not planning on mapping just yet and bolt straight on.

The Tegiwa has a tract that goes down to a scoop that you replace one of your fogs with, so most people remove both and have a non functional scoop on the driver's side. The alternative is to use it with something like the Driven Crazy scoop and leave the fogs in place. Very good intake temps with this kit. The kit is near stock in terms of noise you'll get.

The HKS is much louder, sounds pretty brutal on full throttle and in VTEC. It's an open cone that sits in the engine bay so it's wise to fit it with a heat shield. I did this along with the Driven Crazy scoop and on testing got just a couple of degrees above ambient temperature when on the move. I never experienced the dreaded heat soak that some people report in three years of running it.

The wild card is the Skunk2 intake. True open cone cold air intake, nice big intake pipe and again sounds great. I had this on the FD2. To fit the FN2 you need to trim a bit of body work and the back of the passenger headlight for it to fit properly, so not really a driveway job. Some people have said you get a flat spot without mapping but I didn't in the day I ran it unmapped on the FD2, though different ECU to be fair. The Skunk2 has been shown to give some of the best gains on modded, high flowing setups, so if you're thinking long term it might be worth going for.

Pretty much everything else on the market has issues where those above don't other than what is mentioned and then they don't give the same gains as those mentioned above so really I'd only consider those three.

You're not going to get a lot out of an induction kit unmapped but it's a start.

Tegiwa's Mugen copy (or the Mugen if you're feeling flush) and the HKS Racing Suction Kit are probably the best two if you're not planning on mapping just yet and bolt straight on.

The Tegiwa has a tract that goes down to a scoop that you replace one of your fogs with, so most people remove both and have a non functional scoop on the driver's side. The alternative is to use it with something like the Driven Crazy scoop and leave the fogs in place. Very good intake temps with this kit. The kit is near stock in terms of noise you'll get.

The HKS is much louder, sounds pretty brutal on full throttle and in VTEC. It's an open cone that sits in the engine bay so it's wise to fit it with a heat shield. I did this along with the Driven Crazy scoop and on testing got just a couple of degrees above ambient temperature when on the move. I never experienced the dreaded heat soak that some people report in three years of running it.

The wild card is the Skunk2 intake. True open cone cold air intake, nice big intake pipe and again sounds great. I had this on the FD2. To fit the FN2 you need to trim a bit of body work and the back of the passenger headlight for it to fit properly, so not really a driveway job. Some people have said you get a flat spot without mapping but I didn't in the day I ran it unmapped on the FD2, though different ECU to be fair. The Skunk2 has been shown to give some of the best gains on modded, high flowing setups, so if you're thinking long term it might be worth going for.

Pretty much everything else on the market has issues where those above don't other than what is mentioned and then they don't give the same gains as those mentioned above so really I'd only consider those three.

I Had been looking at the Tegiwa kit as I had heard about heat soak issues with the open cone filters, I hadnt looked at the Skunk2 filter though so thanks for that I will have a look at that one. I am going to get a invida exhaust system and a a hondata flash pro later on in the year from what I've seen so far filter exhaust and ecu are the best starting point.

Looks fantastic the hks, I've heard you get very little gains from it though as it suffers from heat soak due to the location of the cone filter

Hks is good and sounds amazing! The only time you would get heat soak is when sitting in traffic a long time due to the temps under the bonnet rising, once moving the temps would go right down again and if you had ducting and a heat shield it would work even better. I am changing mine for a tegiwa box but only because I'm getting an exahust soon and don't want my car to loud.
If you do go for a hks you won't regret it and they do make good gains once mapped.

Hks is good and sounds amazing! The only time you would get heat soak is when sitting in traffic a long time due to the temps under the bonnet rising, once moving the temps would go right down again and if you had ducting and a heat shield it would work even better. I am changing mine for a tegiwa box but only because I'm getting an exahust soon and don't want my car to loud.
If you do go for a hks you won't regret it and they do make good gains once mapped.

Are you looking to sell your hks on? I may be interested

Back