• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 FN2 newbie

Hello

I'm new and i'm looking into getting a type R, i just don't know what model yet. I've been looking into the EK9, EP3 and FN2.
The problem with the EK9 is that i'll have to import one, so that's out of the window.
Now the EP3 and the FN2... Which one is better? Is the FN2 really that bad as Jeremy Clarkson makes them out to be? And do they really rust that fast?! I've read a horrorstory on a belgian forum earlier.

cheers!

Hello and welcome.

theres plenty of EK9's for sale in the UK. So they are a possibilty, ownly thing about owning an import is spares can be hard to get hold of and insurance tends to be a bit more.

EP3's are now plentyful (I myself have one), and are very good fun, and good value for money now. Only real problem with them is the steering is a bit numb.

FN2's i know nothing about. Loxy will come along and talk about those im sure :)

Hope you get a Type R soon :)

I'm from belgium so i'll have to import an ek9 from japan or the UK. But that's a lot of work :p Although they look awesome! Thanks for the reply!
EP3's are nice to, look the same as my EP2 to :) but with a lot more power!
FN2's look like a nice place to be in but clarkson's review wasn't really good... So i don't know.

No the FN2 isn't as bad as Clarkson says. Top Gear Magazine voted it the Hot Hatch of the Year in the same year he did that review, so it is basically one man's opinion.

It depends what you want from the car. My advice would be to go and test drive both.

I've owned both and prefer the FN2. Some people have gone the other way and prefer the EP3. It's only you can make up your mind on which you prefer.

Only rust issues I've heard of on the FN2 are behind the rubber seals on the actual doors. Pre 2009 cars had rubbers that could let water sit and cause rust at the top of the door. Cars after 2009 had different rubber strips. A dab of touch up paint in the affected areas prevented rust if it was done early enough. Other rust has been on the roof near the top of the windscreen and the bonnet. Both are stone chip related and if you aren't touching up bad stone chips then you are asking for rust to be honest.

:lol:

Told you loxy would come along :), also there must be some EK9's over there? And the EP2 looks like the EP3 IMO. From what ive read the FN2 is meant to be more mature

i have had my fn2 about 4 months now and i love it the ride is harsh which is to be expected and on mine the clutch makes a noise when cold and the pedal also clicks which reading on here on common faults so you learn to live it but when you are on a nice country road and blast through the gears in vtec you realise why you love it so much been in a few ep3 and find the interior much nicer in the fn2 but each to there own but dont listen to clarkson if you want a type r go for it

I had a very similar debacle to yours magnificent one. I've driven many an EP3 over the years and they are awesome, but I've plumped for an FN2 as I detest body-roll and therefore an FN2 is much closer to my ideal-handling car. But there are plenty of people who will tell you FN2's are horrible / crap, give you herpes and cause cancer. It's down to what you prefer.

welcome to the forum buddy, its all about which one you think is for you, definately would test drive a few from the EP3 and FN2 and then decide, i chose the FN2 after test driving both and i love my car :) which ever one you choose you will enjoy...

Happy Motoring..

I had an ep3 for 2 years and it was the best car I have ever had that was apart from when I bought my fn2 4 months ago. Interior is far nicer and it is just as quick as the ep3 it's more up to date and for me the better car out the two. The only reason people go for an ep3 now is because they are cheap. Why buy old when you can have the same car which is newer and better.

Back