• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 - Oil usage.

Hi There,

I'm new to the whole performance car scene, I've never had to top-up oil on any of my cars so it was quite scary when I got the check oil light for the first time in December.

I've had a search but I haven't really found anything concrete, from researching it - abnormal oil usage can be down to piston rings or valve seals? Both can be identified by "blue smoke", although the example blue smoke shown in a video I found looked white to me... Is there a noticeable difference in real life?

I'm just wondering what "normal" oil usage is? Mine is a 2010 plate on 61k miles now, I bought it on 58k in November. I put around 600ml in it mid-december and about the same this Friday. I've checked my service history and Honda last put 5w30 in it, I was caught short the first time so I bought some 5w40 Sainsbury's own make oil and that's what I've been topping up with (I chose this viscosity per a suggestion on here), I'm getting it serviced at some point this month, so I'll be binning the Sainsbury's ***** and start using Fuchs pro race-s 5w40, per the suggestions in numerous posts, by user Loxy.

Cheers,
Ryan

Hi There,

I'm new to the whole performance car scene, I've never had to top-up oil on any of my cars so it was quite scary when I got the check oil light for the first time in December.

I've had a search but I haven't really found anything concrete, from researching it - abnormal oil usage can be down to piston rings or valve seals? Both can be identified by "blue smoke", although the example blue smoke shown in a video I found looked white to me... Is there a noticeable difference in real life?

I'm just wondering what "normal" oil usage is? Mine is a 2010 plate on 61k miles now, I bought it on 58k in November. I put around 600ml in it mid-december and about the same this Friday. I've checked my service history and Honda last put 5w30 in it, I was caught short the first time so I bought some 5w40 Sainsbury's own make oil and that's what I've been topping up with (I chose this viscosity per a suggestion on here), I'm getting it serviced at some point this month, so I'll be binning the Sainsbury's ***** and start using Fuchs pro race-s 5w40, per the suggestions in numerous posts, by user Loxy.

Cheers,
Ryan
If you drive it hard it will drink oil. Just a trait of a VTEC tbh. I am sure in my EP3 handbook it says you can expect to use 1L every 800 miles!
I have used 5w40 for years and I hardly have to top it up tbh. I always check it at least every couple of weeks.
It takes a litre of oil from the bottom mark on the dipstick to the top one when topping up.

If you drive it hard it will drink oil. Just a trait of a VTEC tbh. I am sure in my EP3 handbook it says you can expect to use 1L every 800 miles!
I have used 5w40 for years and I hardly have to top it up tbh. I always check it at least every couple of weeks.
It takes a litre of oil from the bottom mark on the dipstick to the top one when topping up.

I don't feel I drive it that hard, Friday was an exception though - a lot of VTECing as I left work early and the roads were clear and dry for once so I took the long, long way home.

You're right though, I didn't think of checking the manual for that info. but mine says;

"The amount of oil consumed depends on how the vehicle is driven and the climatic and road conditions encountered. The rate of oil consumption can be up to 1 litre per 625 miles"

A rate of 1L per 3000 isn't that bad then I guess, there I am instantly thinking "piston rings"... need to have a word with myself I think.

Cheers.

Majority of the manufactures allow for 1 litre of oil to burn per 1000km. Anymore then there's a problem.

Back