• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Rattle at 3,000rpm+

I have an annoying rattle that comes at around 3,000 rpm when the engine is warm, from cold it's not there. I mainly notice it when the revs drop when changing gear. It's been happening for the last 12k miles and it's getting a bit annoying.

I have removed the belt just to make sure it's not one of the pulleys, it sounds like it could be coming from the bottom of the engine, heat shields seems fine too. The car is now on 70k, I first noticed the noise at around 58k miles. Here's a video, you can notice the noise as the revs drop. And you can also here when it's gets to around 3,200rpm on the rev counter.
Any ideas what it could be? Chain tensioner?

maybe some cat/shaft protection or similar... put it on an elevator and run it to see where it comes from, should be easy to identify like this.

I removed the drive shaft heat shield as I read that the ep3s use to rattle at around 3000rpm, it still did it, so I put it back on. The cat heat shield is tight. I had the car up on a ramp and couldn't locate the noise, It almost sounds like it's coming from the offside lower part of the engine. I'm pretty sure it must be something resonating against something, just a nightmare to find what's causing it!

Back