• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Reverse Judder - Normal?

Hi, I've recently purchased a 2010 Civic Type-R, low mileage 20k, and I've noticed it judders in reverse particularly when the wheel is turned. No judder in any other gear. I just wanted some peace of mind really... Does this happen to anyone else? Dealer I purchased from says it's always done this and is normal behavior, but it doesn't sound right to me.

All mounts look ok. There is also a grinding type noise on take off, first and reverse, which may be an unrelated matter (brakes?)...

Thanks.

No that doesn't sound right.

Are you not giving it less revs or not slipping the clutch enough as you are in reverse?

Thanks for your reply. Tried all kind of rev ranges, etc and doesn't seem to make a difference. More revs creates more noticeable judder. Also had someone else try and with same issue, but just wanted to check with other owners before going back.

I tried searching for similar symptoms but couldn't find much, any ideas what it could be?

Reverse works by engaging another gear to spin 1st backwards IIRC, so it could be a shaft bearing or gear issue if it's only happening in reverse.

Equally, the load on the driveshafts is reversed and you mentioned it does it more when turning the wheel which makes me think there could be something up with the driveshaft or CV joints.

Looks like there's play in the driveshaft bearing so it's going to be changed over the next couple of days. Cheers for the heads up, I'll report back if it does the trick!

Back