• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 tailgate struts...

Neily03

Professional Hippy
Anyone else find the tailgate struts on a the pathetic side? Now the weather has gone proper cold i'm having to push the tailgate all the way up myself or it just stops where ever I let got.... :? I've not pushed it high enough a couple of times and then banged my head on it... :freak: :x

It's going in for a service in a a few weeks so will see what they think....

Its forking cold here now matey, but cant say I've noticed a problem.

Thinking scientifically, the struts being on the inside of the car, if you go out first thing in the morning when its Uber cold then I can imagine it being a problem.

I only ever open the boot for the weekly shop, but thats after a 20 minute drive with the car being cosy and warm.

I shall make a point of trying the boot after work tonight!

The struts aren't inside the car, they're under the tailgate but outside...

Yep, that came to me after I wrote the post. Still I'll give it a go.
I always have to lift mine the first 6" or so until the weight transfers to the struts...
But sounds like yours wont move at all?

Yep, that came to me after I wrote the post. Still I'll give it a go.
I always have to lift mine the first 6" or so until the weight transfers to the struts...
But sounds like yours wont move at all?

I have to lift it all the way or just stops, like all they can do is support the weight but not lift it....

Ah right, sounds like something not quite right with yours then.
I just have to lift mine the first 6" and then it sorts itself out all the way up.

But as you say, mention it at the service and get them to sort it. My last car had dodgy struts and it got right on my nerves!

Checked this out when I got out of the office. Opened it, lifted the first 6" and then it shot up by itself.
Tried again when I got home just to see if there might have been any difference on the off chance the heat in the car might have affected it. But nope, same process.

You might just have one dodgy strut and the other cant compensate?

They looked at this this morning and the service mananger said he couldn't really fault them so will put and down as an intermitant fault and order me some new ones. :)

He's also ordering some new buttons for the steering wheel controls as the paint is wearing through on them.

I'm having the same problem with mine now... i've noticed it a few weeks ago, but never got round to checking it...
So Neily03, is it covered under warranty?
Thanks.

I'm having the same problem with mine now... i've noticed it a few weeks ago, but never got round to checking it...
So Neily03, is it covered under warranty?
Thanks.
Yes, mines going in on Wednesday for new ones.

Good news dude, my Fn boot wouldn't always close or lock!!

But it doesnt say you only had this problem after your drove it through a lamp post! :p

Though, yep sometimes the boot doesnt always close, even after a fairly hefty slam!

But it doesnt say you only had this problem after your drove it through a lamp post! :p

Though, yep sometimes the boot doesnt always close, even after a fairly hefty slam!

No the boot closed fine after the crash just couldn't open the passenger door or bonnet :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just got my car back from the dealers, it's been in all day and nothing's been done, Honda sent the wrong button for the steering wheel... :x :x

A service bulletin has come through since they saw my car a week and a half ago from Honda saying that it's acceptable to have to push the tailgate all the way up in cold weather so they won't replace any rear struts. :?

Just got my car back from the dealers, it's been in all day and nothing's been done, Honda sent the wrong button for the steering wheel... :x :x

A service bulletin has come through since they saw my car a week and a half ago from Honda saying that it's acceptable to have to push the tailgate all the way up in cold weather so they won't replace any rear struts. :?

Thats c**p mate :evil:

I've still got my tent in the boot from the lakes meet, shows how often I open the boot!

Just got it back from the dealers with a full set of new steering wheel buttons, only one was worn but they come as a set so I got the whole lot. :)

If it's any consolation Neil, Jayne's FK2 boot needs a push up in this weather.

The closing thing used to happen when it was new, but it's settled down since we've had it for a while. I think it just needed bedding in. We only used to know it wasn't shut proper when the central locking/alarm activated indicator flash didn't happen! :rolleyes:

Back