• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ford fiesta won't start

Hello all not honda related but wondering if you could help me out....

My missus went to start her car this morning and nothing happened. At first I thought it was a flat battery but there wasn't even a clicking noise. All there is is the oil warning light come up on the dash so I checked the oil level and it's slightly blackened but there's plenty in there. Any suggestions? Thanks

The oil light will come on because the engine isn't running, so there's no pressure. You'll get that on all cars as you start them.

Have you tried to jump it? Do lights and radio work? What year is it? Can you hear the fuel pump priming just before you go to start it?

As a quick guess: alternator not charging it so flat battery, just a flat battery, starter motor trouble, immobiliser not disengaging.

Yeh tried to jump it off the civic and nothing can't hear the fuel pump and radio ect doesn't work it's an 06 fiesta 1.2. Don't think it's immobiliser issues as I had that with my civic. I'm thinking the battery could just be gone completely?

Sounds like it then. Leave it connected to the Civic whilst the Civic is running for 5-10minutes (keep it at higher revs as you try to start the Fez) then try again. If they're properly flat then a quick jump isn't enough. I had to leave one of my cars connected to another car for about 20minutes before just so I could get to Halfords to buy a new battery.

Charged it all day and re fitted it a minute ago. Heard a few clicks like there was life but nothing again when I got into the car so guessing the battery is finished. It did look pretty old and the missus doesn't know when it was last changed so putting it down to that.

Well if the battery looks that bad I would change it anyway with the coming winter nearly upon us. If however you still have same problem with the new battery, try and give the starter motor a clout with a hammer/metal bar/bit of wood while someone is holding the key over. You could have a sticky solenoid on the starter. Make sure it's out of gear first so no nasty accidents

Agree with the new battery, some of the terminal things could be bone dry. I opened some up on my first car and filled with deionised water. And smacking the starter does work, we used a hammer and a gate bolt :lol:

Back