• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Frankenstein build

Hi guys. I'm really interested in the k24/k20a2 Frankenstein build but a bit unsure on which is the best uk k24 bottom end. Is there a how too guide with parts list? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :smt047:smt047:smt047

The uk only has the K24A3 from the Accord Type S or 2.4 models.
Whats your budget to spend on it?

what do you want from the engine? high revs, torque etc?

theres a how 2 guide here.
http://www.hybrid-racing.com/blog/k20k24-hybrid-engine-build/
Budget is slim at the moment but I'm in no rush. I fancy having a go at this project as it looks like good gains can be achieved.
Torque and bhp would be my ultimate goals but I wouldn't really want to sacrifice the rpm. 8500rpm max if possible.

Slim budgets and k24 Frankenstein's don't go well together

However I have a feelingTDi north were doing the bottom ends, not sure why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slim budget means = stock bottom end.
max rpm on a stock bottom end will be 7.5k to 7.8k depending on stuff like head bolts/studs etc.

It is a fairly easy build, expect to see around 260 BHP and around 190 ft lbs with full bolt ons (intake manifold/exhaust manifold/RBC ported/3"exhaust/larger TB) etc.

You'l need to see close to £5K put into the engine to see 8500 rpm buddy.

Wow. I didn't realise how costly this would be. I wouldn't be happy with low rpm as that's what I love about my ep3. It sounds like the cheaper option would be to charge my k20 engine. The cheapest k24 engine I found was around £1200. I was really looking forward to a bit of tinkering in my man cave over the winter. Ha.

Wow. I didn't realise how costly this would be. I wouldn't be happy with low rpm as that's what I love about my ep3. It sounds like the cheaper option would be to charge my k20 engine. The cheapest k24 engine I found was around £1200. I was really looking forward to a bit of tinkering in my man cave over the winter. Ha.

i would recommend a Jackson charger if on a tight budget.
you will have 200 ft lbs of torque and around 300 bhp.

The 24 is a totally different animal though.
You say you need the revs but with a 24 I can assure you that you won't need to rev over 8k.
Most cams will drop off at 7k anyway.

TDI North built a high revving K24 for one of the FastCar staff writers. There is a build thread around the forum somewhere.

But, I understand that was a five figure build on the block alone.

I got talking to Paul a couple years back. I once had a pipe dream of 300bhp N/A and 10,000 RPM.

We talked k24s, stroked k20s, bored k20s. The lot. He basically said; don't do it. They're not reliable, pop valves, spin end bearings, burn piston rings etc.

He said bore the k20 to 2.1, keep standard stroke, breath on it as much as possible, forget the RPM. Hope for 280bhp.

I got talking to Paul a couple years back. I once had a pipe dream of 300bhp N/A and 10,000 RPM.

We talked k24s, stroked k20s, bored k20s. The lot. He basically said; don't do it. They're not reliable, pop valves, spin end bearings, burn piston rings etc.

He said bore the k20 to 2.1, keep standard stroke, breath on it as much as possible, forget the RPM. Hope for 280bhp.

A poor engine builder/tuner WILL say that.
For high revs then yes a 2.2 K20 stroker is fine.
For torque and smooth drive a K24 is ideal.

Either way, with both you will need a fair bit of spending on it unless you can do it yourself. Its not a difficult task in all honesty.

It's a project I would build myself. No labour costs. I can't really understand how it could be so expensive. I think I'll research a bit more before I make up my mind. Thanks for the help.

It's a project I would build myself. No labour costs. I can't really understand how it could be so expensive. I think I'll research a bit more before I make up my mind. Thanks for the help.

K24 engine = £700
Parts = £2500
thats forged Pistons 12.5:1 compression. Lightweight rods.
New crank and main bearings. Stage 4 cams and valve train. S2000 modded oil pump.
New genuine Honda head gasket, tensioner, chain. ARP head studs/bolts. CRV driver side mount. New valve seals.
+£4-500 or so of you want flat valves, bronze valve guides etc
you can choose pretty much any brand at that price for parts. (JE, Wiseco, Carillo, Cosworth, BC etc)

Engine/block machine work. Worth going 87.5mm for a block freshen up. Oem head gasket can support 87.5mm max £500
if you want a CNC ported head add around £1500

i hope that gives you break down of the costs associated.
A set up like that will see 300 BHP and peak torque of 220 ish.
On a generous dyno youl see a touch more.

Personally, If your on a budget.
this is the route I would take for max gains.

Stock K24 bottom end with full bolt ons (rbc/Tb/3" exhaust etc")
drop in cams. Custom head gasket or spoon to bump up 0.5 compression. (K20 oil pump)

Then work on the gearbox. 5.1 final drive from FN2/FD2 gearbox plus LSD.

It will be a flying machine. Looking at around £2k down this route all in.

Wow. I see the big picture now. To be fair I would be happy with the latter. I have read a few posts that consists of k24a3 bottom end with k20a2 top end and mix match the remaining parts. The results sounded unreal to be fair with a massive increase in bhp and torque. If this is achievable creating good gains for around the £2000 mark then I will start searching for parts. I don't really want to go down the charged route. Thanks again.

Wow. I see the big picture now. To be fair I would be happy with the latter. I have read a few posts that consists of k24a3 bottom end with k20a2 top end and mix match the remaining parts. The results sounded unreal to be fair with a massive increase in bhp and torque. If this is achievable creating good gains for around the £2000 mark then I will start searching for parts. I don't really want to go down the charged route. Thanks again.

The K24 doesn't really have much gains BHP wise.
The torque is where it's at. Expect Vtec @ 3.5k or so and around 160 ft lbs of torque from 2k onwards..

if you need any bits. Let me know as I have quite a few parts lying around including a 5.1 final drive.

Back