• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Front Caliper Rebuild

My front left caliper has seized up and was wondering how easy it to replace piston and give it a good clean?

When removing piston is there a chemical product I should use to give it a clean?

If you are taking it out I'd just replace it. Sure I only paid £35 for a new one with seals. I got it off ebay from brakes international

Just had a look its brakeparts.co.uk on ebay looks like they've changed name but you can get the pair for £56 or single for £30

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had a read through that thread, very useful. Almost makes me want to do mine myself!

But then I barely trust myself to make cereal edible, so I'll maybe just act knowledgeable to the mechanic that does it for me....

There pretty easy to do.
Outer seals a pain ***
and it helps if you have a compresser, you can use a electric pump also

An old school tip for removing seized caliper pistons is to remove the end off a grease gun, the thread is the same as most caliper fine threads. Grease guns can make very high pressure and very manageable movement, no risk of losing an eye that way.

Rebuilt both of my front calipers no problem, Bit of a nightmare getting the pistons out (they were both seized) but I just got a thin metal rod and stuck it through the hole behind the piston and battered them out with a hammer, brings the dust seal out with it, then just have to remove the inner seal (can use a small screwdriver, or similar) then I stuck in new seals and pistons and gave the calipers a good degrease. Its also worth cleaning and re-greasing the sliders while your at it. Mine are like brand new now :)

I thought mine had seize but i took it off the line and drained it. Headed for the vice and she went back without much force. Put it back in been fine ever since ! ]

front caliper dust seal needs replacing but i will be replacing piston etc... Rear caliper don't seem to bad but the piston won't move but will replace all seals. I've also got ATE Blue racing fluid and braided brake lines, new discs and pads.

Received all my parts:

ATE Blue Racing Fluid (Cheaper than OEM)

Racetec Braided hoses

Rebuild Kit (Seals/Piston)

Caliper Paint

Caliper Rebuild:

Started cleaning the claiper

Got the piston out

Gave caliper housing a clean (best i could do)

New Piston and seals in

Painted caliper. Should have painted before putting new piston and seal in as got abit of paint on dust seal but shouldn't be a problem.

Final coat and dried

Painted front and rear carriers

Trying to get all rust and paint off rear caliper

Piston out of rear caliper

Piston cleaned up

rear caliper now built, started painting

New rear discs, pads and braided hoses on. Need to paint caliper.

Front brakes done

Some pics of braied hoses (Racetec)

rear built caliper on

Side view working in the dark

What it looks like with wheels on

Rear Wheel

Front Wheel

Back