• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Front Compliance bushes and ball joints

Ok had my 04 EP3 serviced by Honda the other day at 80K. They said it is mechanically sound and drives very well. Just two things they picked up on in the whole service.

First thing was ‘Front compliance bushes starting to wear/split,’ Fitted £288.71
Second thing was ‘Both bottom ball joint dust covers split’ Fitted £241.15

He explained to me there are no knocks or any play in the steering just something to keep an eye and possibly an advisory on a MOT but could last a couple more years without any problems just something to keep an eye on. The car drives fine would of never known there was this problem.

My questions are… Is this a big problem that I should address right away? Can I just replace the front compliance bushes and dust covers or would I need new ball joints as well? Would it be worth upgrading to poly bushes if its possible? Spoke to my mechanic and he said it might be easier to replace both wishbones as they have the compliance bushes and the ball joints already attached. I am obviously not going to get Honda to carry out the work, my best friend is mechanic so we can carry out the work needed just need parts.

Also I am thinking of getting a FRSU in the near future. Would it be best to fix this issue first before I get the geo setup as I am thinking if I get it done after the FRSU it would knock the geo out of alignment meaning I would have to get it done again maybe?

Any feedback appreciated :)

I'm sure you can get poly bushes for the ep3, I would replace the bushes and ball joints.
You defiantly want this sorted before any FRSU. Any changes to suspension related items would need a geometry carried out again.

As above, go polyurethane bushes. Cheaper and superior to OEM.

Whoever does your FRSU can probably fit them too. I'd suggest Grinspeed.

As above, go polyurethane bushes. Cheaper and superior to OEM.

Whoever does your FRSU can probably fit them too. I'd suggest Grinspeed.
Also can some please help me source some correct poly bushes, is it a kit of just the two I need? If they are cheaper and more superior that oem I will go with Poly

Just rang honda for oem part. They only sell the whole knuckle for 180 plus vat!! Sod that just need the ball joint.
What decent brands of ball joints should I look at. I don't want cheapy eBay *****. Heard blueprint are decent

Last edited by a moderator:
Energy Suspension, PolyBush, SuperPro - they also do a different castor option which you will need to read up on if you are interested. Not sure about Powerflex, I have heard a lot of mixed reviews.
I believe Blueprint to be of OEM quality, although I am not sure. However, I have blueprint ARB bushes and Drop Links - so far so good.

Back