• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Front End Clunking

I've got what sounds like a nasty clunking coming from the front end N/S or centre. At first I thought it sounded like some sort of very bad transmission slap / backlash but I've heard it when coasting with the clutch dipped . . . The sound appears when going over bumps at low speed / acclerating or decelerating and parking etc.

A few weeks ago I changed the broken N/S drop link for one off ebay, the part seemed ok though so don't think it's related to that.

Any ideas?

Rear engine mount. Mine went and it sounded like the exhaust banging on the floor of the car.

Front mount is more common.

However if it's happening with the cultch in, coasting over bumps I'd say top mount

Thanks for the replies guys. It seems to have gotten a bit worse I'm sure I can feel the click go through the whole car now.

I could do top mounts myself but not sure about engine mounts.

Since I have no idea what it actually is I've booked in at the dealer tomorrow. On the phone they said they thought it might be the drop links, I guess it could be the one that hasn't been changed yet (Front o/s).

Anyway will post the results back here as it seems a few of us are having funny noises from the front suspension.

I had a worn top mount and it manifested itself as a creaking/groaning coming from the engine bay under braking and acceleration. I also had a clunking after fitting the coilovers which just turned out to be a loose lock ring on the spring.
Not sure if either of these sounds likely for you but just thought it sounded possible?
Cheers

Just been to the dealer and the finger was first pointed at the "non genuine" front n/s drop link and if it isn't that then they said it will be the steering rack! I was quoted £1600 for that! It's a 2005 54 plate facelift, I thought the racks were good on those? I'd much prefer it to be an engine mount!

They did metion the o/s drop link is begining to seperate, I will try removing it at the weekend and driving without the drop link to see if the noise goes away.

Yeah, I thought the steering rack problem was solved by that point?
To be honest, mine went in to the dealer with the creak and all they said was that the wheels were rubbing which was clearly not the problem. Their proposed solution was to take the whole front suspension apart at a cost of £80 odd an hour labour which they reckoned would take most of a day. Of course, I declined their offer and took it to my local Protyre and they worked out what it was in about 30 minutes.
I'm not trying to criticise dealers but I thought they would be able to tell me exactly what the problem was - is there another place you trust you can take it to get a second opinion?

Fitted the ebay o/s drop link today. Old one was fine movement wise but having 4 of the 8 plastic pins snapped it was on it's way out. Anyway thoroughly moved the new ebay jobbie before fitting it, sure it was stiffer than the old Honda one but I can't imagaine that it is causing such a clunk from the front end.

All the bushes on the lower control arm looked good, as did the ARB bushes. Really struggling for ideas on this one.

Has anyone else had to replace a rack on a 54 / 2005 car facelift car?

Will be taking it somewhere else for a 2nd opinion. When people says "top mounts" have they got part numbers or pics (perhaps from Honda Original Parts) of which bits I should replace?

Anyone recomend a good garage to diagnose / fix this kind of problem in the Stoke / Crewe area?

Well I had to service the car this weekend so while I was doing that I decided to have a look into the clunking problem too.

Inspected all bushes - all looked very good.
With both front wheels jacked off the ground got the wife to steer from lock to lock - no clunking, no movement from top mounts.
Removed the air box, used the dremel diamond disc to whip off the boot bands on the steering rack, filled with about 200ml of spray grease and used top quality Thomas & Betts Tie wraps with a metal insert to resecure the boot.
Disconnected the drop links on both sides.

Went for a drive - car was perfect.
Re-connected the drop links, went for another drive, bad clunking came back.

So the ebay drop links were faulty. Wish I bought the Honda ones. The ebay ones will be sent back this week and I'll fork out the £100 for the Honda ones.

Very glad it wasn't the steering rack after all - and I've lubed it up for no reason!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Genuine Honda drop links fitted to both sides at the front this weekend.

Car is driving perfect now :)

Hoping for a refund on the ebay ones.

Back