• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

front engine mount - ep3

I noticed the front engine mount was knackered last time i was under the car. What do people recommend? I've seen people filling them with tiger seal, inserts. Can I repair this by filling it with sealant or do I need to get a new mount?

dont fill it with sealant please!

If they are damaged an engery insert will help it last longer, but it is not a repair.

Personally if its damaged it needs to be replaced, then add inserts at the same time (the inserts are cheap)

Do I have to drop the subframe to change it?

That's one suggestion. Another way is to drop the front bumper and pull the radiator so you can get your hands in. Or, if you have child slave labour, just hold them above the car and hope their arms are long enough to reach around the inlet manifold ;)

You might be able to do it without, it's just really awkward.

Watch out for the knock sensor on the front of the block, it's VERY easy to break if it's old enough.

Back