• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Front passenger side knock/clunk

Looks like I spoke too soon about my new ep3 driving like new :( it's developed a slight knock/clunk over pot holes and those harsh speed bumps, no noise if I weave left and right just pot holes and broken up car parks.

Is there any common culprits to look at first? Anti roll bar drop links? I've replaced these on previous cars but I'm guessing. It's going for tyres fitting today so I've asked them to have a look and let me know what the problem is before they do any work but I'd like to have an idea myself before I take it.

Cheers.

Yep, it's usually either drop links or the front top mounts. Regarding the top mount, it's sometimes the three nuts at the top are loose on one side, sometimes the big nut in the middle needs a quarter turn, sometimes it's the top mount itself.

Cheers Loxy I'll check the top nuts before I take it in. I'd usually do this stuff myself but I'm busy with one thing and another just don't want the garage to take me for a ride. I'm guessing the top mount requires the suspension strut removing?

Nipped out of work and checked the three top nuts and there tight, I'll check the center nut when I grab an Allen key.

Not yet mate waiting for the tyres to be delivered then the garage fitting them is going to check the suspension both sides, I kind of know the guy from frequent visits and buying parts so don't think they'll they take the pi55. I have a phobia of garages and people trying to take me for a ride just don't have time to get under it myself. I'll let you know soon as I find out but I'm putting money on drop links.

Well had the tyres fit and the garage confirmed it's definitely the passenger side front anti roll bar drop link. I'll change both sides anyway.

Is there any uprated ones that are worth fitting or will any pattern part be ok? Or should I go to Honda?

Bought some pattern drop links from a local spares shop and changed the passenger side, it started to rain so drivers side can wait until it fails as it's quiet on the drivers side. Anyway problem solved, lovely and quiet again but what a b***ard it was to get off! One nut came off after a good 20 min with some force the Allen key just held but the other rounded the Allen key hole about half way down the thread so used a slitting disk on an angle grinder the wip through the thread. Plenty copper grease on the new one in case I need them off in the future, or if I upgrade them.

Back