• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Front right brake very hot

Hi all,

Got to work today and noticed that my front right brake was very hot. The left side was warm as I would expect.

I have a 20 mile drive and it's a fairly slow journey so no heavy braking.

Does this sound like the calliper has got stuck and causing rubbing? I did a quick search and it sounds like this is a common issue?

Probably a silly question but is it safe to drive for a day or 2. I'm worried I could do some serious damage.

Car is booked into my garage on Thursday so if I need new pads it's a bit late for me to order any myself and may have to go with what they have available.

Cheers.

It's a gamble as potentially it could lock on when you brake one time.

Other than that, the worst that could happen is a glazed brake pad and a warped disc. Both requiring a replacement.

Best thing to do is limp it straight to a garage (unless you're fixing yourself) and arrange a lift for the next few days. You might get away with a clean up, but will likely need a caliper refurb kit including a new piston. Alternatively you can just buy a complete caliper.

Lastly... It's good practice to do both sides, even though only one is causing you issues. You don't want uneven braking.

It's a gamble as potentially it could lock on when you brake one time.

Other than that, the worst that could happen is a glazed brake pad and a warped disc. Both requiring a replacement.

Best thing to do is limp it straight to a garage (unless you're fixing yourself) and arrange a lift for the next few days. You might get away with a clean up, but will likely need a caliper refurb kit including a new piston. Alternatively you can just buy a complete caliper.

Lastly... It's good practice to do both sides, even though only one is causing you issues. You don't want uneven braking.

Thanks for replying so quickly Hazz.

I have breakdown cover so they are going to take it home later today. I don't want to risk driving it.

Wife doesn't know it yet but I will borrow her car to get to work for the next couple of days.

I will get my garage to take a look, they are very good, been going there for years. I will find out what needs doing and get both sides sorted. I have not had the car long and this is the first time I have taken it to the garage, I am guessing the parts will be a bit more costly than my old 1 litre Corsa!

Thanks a lot for your help.

I think I paid around £150 for a front right caliper, but can't remember if that included labour or if that was just the part :lol:

It's a quick and easy job to do at home, hardest part is bleeding them... which really isn't that hard. Good time to put some braided lines on if you don't have them already.

I think I paid around £150 for a front right caliper, but can't remember if that included labour or if that was just the part :lol:

Thanks for the information. I'm hoping it will just be a refurbishment and new pads. Could do without the expense of new calipers.

It's a quick and easy job to do at home, hardest part is bleeding them... which really isn't that hard. Good time to put some braided lines on if you don't have them already.

Be willing to attempt a few jobs on my car in the future. Never really done much before. I don't have many tools or jacks etc yet and its my daily driver so its easier this time to get it done at the garage.

On a side note I'm picking up a JDM arb soon so might give that a go myself. Believe me no matter how easy a job is I'm bound to mess it up!

So the car got home on the back of a lorry feeling sorry for itself.

It's now in the garage for repair. They suggested it might need a new caliper but is there any reason why the original couldn't just be refurbished? I don't want to end up with a non matching caliper if the other one could just be repaired.

So the car got home on the back of a lorry feeling sorry for itself.

It's now in the garage for repair. They suggested it might need a new caliper but is there any reason why the original couldn't just be refurbished? I don't want to end up with a non matching caliper if the other one could just be repaired.

Just do a PX service on it.

http://brakeparts.co.uk/#!/shop/HON...3)/Front - Brake Calipers and Wheel cylinders

You'll pay more in labour trying to repair yours.

Most garages do the same service, but it may cost a bit more plus labour etc.

Most garages do the same service, but it may cost a bit more plus labour etc.

Cheers for the information. I think the garage looking at it today and repairing it tomorrow so I will ring them to check what they are actually going to be doing.

Back