• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Front shock dead??? EP3

Hi guys,
seems to be a regular thing to have non stop issues with my car, whilst trying to find a knock from the front left of my car I noticed a little play while wiggling the alloy wheel, finally found it and it has play and its when the weight is fully off the car on the ramp, the play is where the strut and the main base of the shock meets. I assume this will need both shocks replacing? Or is it normal to have play at full extension?

I have recently had the two rear shocks replaced with oe Sachs shocks (not my choice was just done by mechanic without him calling me prior to ordering)

thanks in advice guys

Very common this mate , where the piston goes into the base of the shocky they knock for fun, we replace loads of them

Could that be the source of my knocking as the rest of the components, arb, ball joints, rack etc seem fine? I have new wishbones, top mounts.

Also so I can get meyle or bilstien is , there is a small price difference, is there a big quality difference?

Probably is the knocking your getting, you can fit which ones you prefer but we find after market shockers dont last as long as genuine ones but yes there is a price difference

I only use the car as a weekend car and genuine Honda parts can be ridiculous cost wise, bought a pcv valve recently Honda price for type r as near as dam it £50, all my other cars they have been around £20. genuine slider pins for the front cost just under £50, Honda know how to mark up prices.

Miss as owning a Mazda when it comes to buying bits. Mazda went wrong less too.. Lol.

Unless someone can point me to genuine Honda shocks for around £80 each then it will have to be something different.

After a lot of thought anyone know the cost of genuine shocks from Honda by chance before I call honda?

i imagine there not going to be cheap and after all the money I have had to Plow into the car i can't afford to pay to much as its a case of getting the car driving well.

Ah so not too bad then, will make some calls tomorrow.
been reading bad reviews on bilstien **'s, Sachs and meyle. So nervous about wasting money.

Wish the garage hadn't fitted Sachs to the rear now....

Ah so not too bad then, will make some calls tomorrow.
been reading bad reviews on bilstien **'s, Sachs and meyle. So nervous about wasting money.

Wish the garage hadn't fitted Sachs to the rear now....

As i said in above post mate , over the past 15 yrs we have fitted numerous makes and all have issues with knocking so we only fit genuine shox

Yeah they are just genuinely expensive lol, and with all the other issues I have had to fix has left me tight for cash.

I haven't posted them on here to much as its been a though trip since buying the car in Feb and I have only done 600 maybe 700 miles if that.

bought the car off a friend who I trusted, and pretty much got a lemon, but all my saving and spare cash spent I'm stuck with it.
I will try and capture it all briefly....

New air filter for aem intake
oil change as it was desperately in need
clutch change as the clutch was wearing through the rivets
new front wishbones
engine mount inserts
new top mounts
garage fitted new rear Sachs shocks to get it through the MOT
new plugs
new sportex mid section as it was on standard and had a hole in it.
super pro arb bushes
new right rear calliper as it was binding
new battery as it failed in aprii
replaced pcv valve as it was making noises

up next
front shocks
new front and rear engine mounts (torn bushes found when putting inserts in)
stoney racing radiator hoses
new front and rear disks and pads
brake clips, slider pins
oil change

God knows what else..... I just wanna use the car! Probably missed some things too...

Called Honda chesterfield, it's over £300 plus vat, having spent so much I can't justify it, what's other people's thoughts on

option a genuine shocks and biting the bullet

option b coilovers decent but I don't have much to spend.

Option c best oem ones? (Is it how long they last for or the ride quality that puts people off?)

Option d I'm all ears for suggestions.

Area Motorsport sell a full set of Bilstein dampers (B 4 I think) for around £340, so just the fronts would come in at a chunk under that Honda price. Might be worth looking at the Sachs alternatives if you have those on the rear already?

Area Motorsport sell a full set of Bilstein dampers (B 4 I think) for around £340, so just the fronts would come in at a chunk under that Honda price. Might be worth looking at the Sachs alternatives if you have those on the rear already?

Thankd for the info, plus I don't do many miles st all so there longevity won't be as much of an issue.

I heard sach are renowned for breaking (found this out after having them replaced) and I have had good experiences with bilstien in the past.

the Sachs in the rear are a little bouncy but better than the old KYB that are in the front. Just want to get the car running and driving right at the moment.

I bought a full set of these ** Bilsteins a year ago and one has failed prematurely ,currently in the process of getting a new one under warranty from demon tweaks / bilstein . Supposedly 2 years warranty but didn't last 12 months . Ballache !!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I bought a full set of these ** Bilsteins a year ago and one has failed prematurely ,currently in the process of getting a new one under warranty from demon tweaks / bilstein . Supposedly 2 years warranty but didn't last 12 months . Ballache !!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

sounds like im going to start looking at genuine shocks again

Back