• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Front speaker broken, do I need an adapter?

My front left speaker is broken so I want to replace it. I'm not bothered about major upgrades with amps etc, i just want it working again.

I think the OEM speaker size is 17cm but have heard about issues with the fitment to the door. Is there an adapter ring available to make the swap easier for another 17cm speaker?

I am also considering 13cm speakers as I've seen 13cm speaker adapter brackets available and wondered if this would be an easier swap?

Any advice would be great, I don't have a clue with this kind of thing.

Thanks.

Standard size is 16.5cm, should just be a straight swap. Some require a spacer as the magnet is a lot deeper.

So probably worth going for 17cm replacements then. I will take the old ones out and see what spacer if any I need.

Cheers.

I got some really good cheap adapters on ebay they click into the holes where the original speaker sat and allowed for deeper speakers, ill have a quick look see if i can find the link

That is helpful. Thank you. Those were the adapters I spotted which made me consider 13cm speakers as they would be an easy swap. I will have a look round for a larger version of that adapter so I can try and fit 17cm speakers. I will check out Radioworld.

You have pointed me in the right direction. Cheers for that.

I did a similar swap first, adaptors and 13cm speakers to get me away. Now have a full SQ system with 17cm mids on MDF rings and deadening in the doors.

Had another look and a think and decided to just replace the left front broken speaker for a second hand one. My excuse is I am currently keeping the car as original as possible which basically means I am a cheapskate and have no money :)

Thanks again for the responses and advice. It's appreciated.

The cheapo 13.5 edge or jvc speakers are an improvement over standard as i did the 13.5 cheapo edge ones in my first ep3.
£34.99 full kit. depends how much you find a replacment for.

But the stock paper types with tiny magnets are poor

So this morning I had a look at the front left speaker problem. I Used an old how to guide from here to remove the door card which was nice and easy.

For some unknown reason I assumed that the original speakers would be in the car and it had got old and broken. However I found that the front speakers were Focal 165 CA1's. Not sure if these are any good but it turned out that a wire had come loose and after I rectified this the speaker was fine.

Happy with that.

Once again thanks for all the advice.

Focal are a god brand.

lord.jpg

Back